1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

thunder bolt of death!

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by cmo18, Jan 30, 2010.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

During this past storm, every once and a while when I would hit a snow pile the red thunder bolt would come on. So I would turn off and on and it would be fine. Whats going on? Its the square controller with arrows...

2. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

That thunder bolt is pointing towards Rockland Me.........................:laughing:
    Just kidding I am sure that yellow plow is fine too.............:cool:

3. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Were you in "float" at the time ? If so I would suspect a intermittent short in the "A" coil , no biggie , swap it out and give it another try .

Next step would be to borrow a controller to try if it still does it after the "A" coil replacment, might be giving up the ghost.

TOM

4. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

It was in float mode I believe every time. So whats happening? How come when I turn it off and back on it fine?

5. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

The controller resets itself when you turn it off and back on again , I would hazard a guess you have an "A" coil with an intermittent short , the controller sees this as a fault and sets the overload symbol.

You could try a controller first to rule that out if you know a buddy that has one you could borrow , other than that I would replace the "A" coil.

TOM

6. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Thanks TOM, I'm going to look into it a little more. It wouldn't have anything to do with the plug outside the truck?

Also what do guys use to cover up the plug on the outside of the truck?

7. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Do you have the large single plug ? If so I would make sure it is clean and well greased to prevent corrosion. You are correct , a dirty , corroded plug contacts could cause the controller to do weird things . Also have a look at the Orange ground wire under the hood on the control harness , check to be sure it is good tight and clean.

TOM

8. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

Before you change the coil, try cleaning the connections to the coils. I have the E47 and when it sets the red symbol it has always been a loose connection. Go for the easy fix first.

9. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

What do you guys use to keep the plug on the front of your truck covered? Also, what type of grease to you guys use on your plugs?
    Thanks for all the help!

10. brwn234

brwn234 Junior Member
    from VA

Use dilectric(sp?) grease, buy a big tube from the auto parts store. Put a big glob on the truck side plug and smear it into all the connector holes. Then connect your plow side to truck side and everything should be protected pretty good. If your connections are really corroded you could spray them with some battery terminal cleaner first and then put dielectric on it.

I've got covers for both sides of mine that are from meyer.

11. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

our controller, the pistol grip i beleive, was flashing at us as well. we greased it up and it works fine. they r picky i guess.

12. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

BAD A Coil. I just replaced mine today. Was doing the exact same thing. $15 fix.