1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thumping...

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by WilliamOak, Feb 2, 2010.

1. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Alright, whenever I go upwards of 40-50mph and then am just driving around at a slower speed (20-30mph) I get a light thumping/knocking until I slow down to a crawl then its very obvious. It only really shows up when the wheels are turned one direction or the other. And it more noticable when the wheels are turned to the right.
    My first thought was U joints (either one on the front axle or the front driveshaft) but wanted to hear the opinions of others.

upper and lower ball joints, hub bearings and U joints on the front axle were all done this spring.

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Have you ever replaced your track bar?

3. WilliamOak

Not since I've owned it, would that possibly be my issue? Could definitely explain why it only does it with the wheels turned.

4. leon

leon Senior Member

Thump thump thump

It sounds like the front wheel bearings in my original Isuzu 4 by 4 which I still own.

:waving::drinkup:

5. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Check the Sway bar There are bushing at the ends that get worn.Mine needed front and rear.They make a clunking noise.

6. WilliamOak

Sway bar bushings are "worn" but still in good condition.

7. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

jack the front end up and give the tire a good shake. also do your rotors feel warped at all?
    did this start happening when the leveling kit was installed?

8. WilliamOak

No it's been consistant since mid summer I'd say and I've taken it to a few places who can't even hear/feel it.

9. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

They are notorious for wearing and causing front-end issues on those trucks. They're really a bad design. Check out www.lukeslink.com

10. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Seems too simple but have you looked at your tires. Sometimes a belt will shift or break causing the tire to oblong. As time progresses the noise or thump will get more noticeable. If the noise or sound changes freqency with speed then you definitly have an unballanced spinning issue!! Just rubbing your palm of your hands over the treads of the tire might be enough to find a bad tire.

11. WilliamOak

If this was mroe of a rumbling sound that would be the first place I'd check, but this is way to crisp/sharp of a thump to be the tires unless I have square tires and didnt know it! lol

12. AA+ Landscaping

AA+ Landscaping Senior Member

I would check the wheelbearings put the truck up on 4 stands run it in 4wheeldrive put a screwdrive up to the wheelbear on both sides if noise is diffrent from side to side you have a bad wheelbearing.:nod:

13. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

what kind of unit bearings did you put in it. some cheap ones have excessive play brand new. you get what you pay from some auto stores.

14. WilliamOak

All of the front end work was done this past spring at the dealer that I bought the truck from. I'm assuming all oem parts were used but it didn't occur to me to ask at the time.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010