1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

thump/grinding noise

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by riverstone, Jan 24, 2011.

1. riverstone

riverstone Junior Member
    from ohio

When i push brake pedal there is a thump ( can feel it at my feet) followed by a grinding noise coming from front end. Grinding noise is exactly same sound as when pads wear out. Pads,are fine.Rotors,calipers,wheel bearings,hub and everything else is only 4 months old.Also, the noise and thump will not happen in reverse. I'am at a loss. any suggestions? 04 F 250 SD 6.0 L

2. tim096

tim096 Senior Member
    from wny

sounds like false activation of the abs, most likely caused by a front wheel speed sensor.

3. riverstone

riverstone Junior Member
    from ohio

Could be. seems like abs is activating way too early. where is the location of that sensor?

4. go plow

go plow Senior Member

loose wheel? i happened to me.

5. 01lariat

01lariat Member

I don't have the grinding noise, but I have a thump. Still trying to find it.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

01 lariat.....check your sway bar bushings

7. snowbankr

snowbankr Member

Check for a loose caliper...although different then yours, my 94 350 LF caliper rubber filled stamped steel "pins' fell out. The caliper would move around and scrape on the inside of the wheel in forward only. Reverse was fine. Had the growling, grinding, sound like the wheel bearing was exploding in the hub, or the axle u joint was grinding in the housing. Hope this helps.

8. riverstone

riverstone Junior Member
    from ohio

Un plugged ABS wheel sensor and drove it around. still had same issues. All of the front end parts are solid. Will take calipers off and inspect today. Have had several people ride in truck with me (all mechanically inclined) and no one has a clue.

9. snowbankr

snowbankr Member

Out today, grinding/scraping noise coming from passenger side. Looked into it, its was the spindle bearing. Going to NAPA in the AM.

10. 01lariat

01lariat Member

Replaced the end links already. They were bad, but the sway bar bushings didn't look bad to the naked eye . Could be though? I have to service it this weekend. I'll look for it then.
    :mechanic:

11. riverstone

riverstone Junior Member
    from ohio

Found the problem, The bottom caliper mounting bracket bolt was missing.