1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thrower productivity

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by oldschoo, Dec 3, 2007.

1. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Can u guys give me an idea of how long it would take an avg 2 stage thrower with say an 8.5 hp engine and 26 inch width to clear a 40 ft driveway that's 2 car width and has 6 inches of avg quality snow on it? I have done this with shovel last year and able to do it in about 15-20m or less. Will the thrower be faster or maybe just a bit slower? I was thinking of using the shovel on real light snows and then when it's heavy and high, use the thrower. I've never owned a thrower so I'm not sure what to expect. Also, will say a $900 unit like this last through a season with about 20-30 residentials and regular maintanence or will it be totaled b4 the season's even over?

2. dodge rammin

dodge rammin Member

For what you are explaining and wanting to do it sounds to me like you may be better off with a single stage blower. Two stage blowers are big, bulky, and slower. A single stage would be about as fast as the shovel if not faster and will work in any snow from a 1" to a foot or more depending on how fast you want to go. I run all single stage Toro's and would never change my mind. Excellent blower, powerful, light, dependable, and efficient. Just my opinion. If you went with a two stage you would be using the shovel a lot because you would feel like using a two stage would be so much harder than just shoveling. Don't get me wrong they pay off in 14" of snow but my Toro single stage can eat a foot to 14" as well.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 2-stage 11hp 30''width 21''height and it'll blast a 2 car garage out in 5-7 min easy @ 6 inches. It works very well with small amounts of snow as well, unlike what most people say about 2 stages.

98 Ford F-150 4x4 w/timbrens + coopers
    Meyer 7.5
    Troy Bilt Storm 1130

4. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr Senior Member
    from WI.

Snow thrower/blower

Eight seasons ago, when in need of a snow thrower for removal, went to the competitors and other biz' in the area and inquired what the best piece of equipment would be for snow service. Toro 3650 every time (or another mod #) is what kept coming up! Purchased the 3650 w/elec. and used it for six full grueling seasons and it worked like a champ. Many things were replaced (i.e. consumables, paddles, sparky, coil, belts, cables....) but she still runs like a champ. This was such a good investment went and procured another for this season.

Toro.....:dizzy:

C.