1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Through the ice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Waterchikn, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

Just got back from a northern michigan trip with the guys. Well, to make a long story short, after watching the sleds rip down the lake and 100+ mph I was diggin it. There was this gentleman that would so kindly plow off the snow on the ice for the drag racing event. Well, that "one last push" turned out to be devastating. The rig was a nice F-350 crew cab dually. Well, when he got the the end of that "last" push, he went down, straight down, 8 foot of water down. I was saddened for the guy cause I know he just had a complete loss. As everyone probably knows, your insurace says no ice. I just wanted everyone to take a moment of silence for this poor guy. After all, he was doing the eventfull crowd a favor. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? I will get pics as soon as I find that darned camera.
    It was at clear lake near westbranch in case anyone else was there.
  2. PAPS Landscape

PAPS Landscape Member

Its an unfortunate situation for that guy, but not for nothing... the guy obviously has no brains to be doing that knowing his insurance policy etc. You gotta be a little smarter than that this day an age....
  3. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

A few years back one of my Dad's neighbours lost his plow truck through the ice. I think it was an old full sized Blazer or Jimmy. There is no road into thier places in the summer only boat access or a ATV trail across a small bridge.The river they have to cross is only about 6-8ft deep and about 30 ft wide. In the winter this guy would plow across the ice so he could drive right to his door.During one night the ice started get thin but he figured he had to get his truck back across so his truck would not be stuck on the island for the summer. The ice broke and in went the truck. From what I was told they cut the ice with chain saws back to the shore and pulled it out with a tow truck. I guess they must have drained all the water out of the motor, tranny, diffs etc and got the truck running again because he kept the truck a few more years after that.

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

on the news a month or so ago, they showed a polaris team racing rig that was totally submerged under the ice. they were way up in canada and everyone parks on the ice because its always hard enough. to make a long story short, there was an air bubble or a spot of thin ice, and the whole racing hauler went in. not a cheap fix im sure.
  5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Around here everyone (towns included) use old CJ's to clear the ice. Sure they fall through but a CJ from the 50s or 60s only requires a bit of WD40 and ether and its back in action (assuming the driver shut it down like he's instructed before it sank).
  6. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

Trucks and Ice just dont mix. I know that here if your vehicle goes through the ice that the state will fine you for each day it is under water. I have seen the results of having to get a truck out of the water it is not pretty. Figure in the cost of a diver to hook you up a wrecker that has enough cable to get to you enviormental damage fine and the cost of your totaled vehicle it just is not worth it. I have seen people with motorhomes out on the lakes now that is really stupid.
  7. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

8. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Hmmmmmmm........................... "Freightshakers" are a good truck but amphibious they're not............ as someone who drove Macks for a few years, always nice to see the bulldog "make the save" :cool:

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

i live in a small village thats on the end of a 6600 acre lake, wev'e had 7 trucks and many more snowmobiles go in the drink this season, thankfully no one was killed but our hovercraft team shur got a workout this year. i have been asked to plow off the ice for ice races but politely said N O !!!
  10. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Can you put a plow on that hovercraft? Or maybe a Motorguide:D
  11. ScottyB.

ScottyB. Member

Since we're on the subject....

A buddy sent me these a few weeks ago. There is some BIG money here. I have more pics but for some reason I can only post 1 at a time.

Can you imagine how sick you would be.

Scotty B.

camper semi.jpg
  12. ScottyB.

ScottyB. Member

One more.
    $10,000 racing sled???
    $100,000 rig???

truck under water.jpg
  13. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy Member

when you drop a truck in the drink can you get it back in the winter or do you have to wait till summer? heres an idea. Go over the ice bed with a snowmobile or atv towing a large weight that approximates the loading of your vehicle. and if that doesn't fall through your money. the cable would have to be long enough that if it fell in the hole your vehicle wouldn't fall in the same hole, maybe long enough so that it could touch the bottom and not drag your machine in. This is a virginian talking so if this is stupid, give me some leeway.

Oh and those guys who race there snowmobiles over water in the summer. what are they thinking, i don't know if youc could kill the engine quick enough before sinking to save it, i doubt it
  14. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

I can't believe they were that stupid, first I'm sure someone measured the ice before going out on it but I can't believe they they all parked side by side & so close to the edge of the lake as anyone with brains knows the ice is thinner at the edge. They probably thought they could get off the ice quicker if they were close to the edge :rolleyes: . I bet they didn't measure the ice where they parked & if they did why would you park on top of each other. Oh I know the ice never broke before:rolleyes: when we parked side by side. I had 2- friends go ice fishing 20 yrs. ago & fell through the ice, 1 got out easy, the other almost died. Guess I just use a little more caution.
  15. Manx

Manx Senior Member

You know,
    Those are my thought's exactly
    and that's allot of cash to be uninsured on the ice
    but I'm sure I paid for it the way my insurance jumped this year
  16. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i saw that on the news. theres the polaris hauler i was talking about. thats incredible.
  17. Lockman

Lockman Junior Member

That race was up in my neck of the woods . Most of the trucks and trailers were pulled out by a large cat excavator that was in the water up to the top of the tracks. My insurance company "state farm" covers my truck if it falls through also removal costs dosn't cover commercial use on the ice though.My agent says this is a regional thing though. Lots of water skipping with snow mobiles around here . when theye sink they just yank em out dry em off and do it again. Yes alchohol is a mandatory option.

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Ours also will cover "off road", including ice. Its not that big of a deal here I guess. I specifically checked into it because we do quite a bit of ice fishing with the truck.