1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Throttle Body Spacer

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, May 3, 2008.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I was thinking about getting a throttle body spacer to put on my 6.0 Does anyone have one on their truck? Are they worth it or no? This is the one I am looking to get for mine spacer

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Save your money....the TB spacers aren't worth the money on the early 6.0's. If you really want to wake the truck up, have a custom tune done on the ECM. For about $350-$450 a custom tune will make it really come alive. It'll feel like a completely different truck. The majority of this bolt on stuff is of little benefit for late model vehicles by itself.

Now in addition to a tune, a good free flowing aftermarket exhaust along with a decent air intake will really compliment the custom tune on a truck such as yours that has a somewhat restrictive stock exhaust and intake...but the bolt on parts by themselves are of little benefit. It's the tune that makes them work as GM leaves a ton of performance on the table with there conservative stock "one size fits all" programming.

For a tune check out Westers, Nelsons Performance, or Bear Performance. They do nice work and worth every penny. :nod:

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

That stinks, lol. I have the nice flowmaster exhaust and gonna put on a air intake. Just figured the spacer would be a nice benefit. Dont really have the extra $$ to spend on a custom tune at this point. Just want some stuff to help mileage and give it more pep. That is why I miss my ol K20's. Put a good cam, carb&intake, headers, duals and hold on to your a$$!!!!!!!!! Now you gotta do a bunch of extra crap, lol. Would it help at all to put even an air intake or just all a waste? If so, then it is just getting a K&N filter and call it a day. Thanks B&B:waving:

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your not planning on the tune don't waste good money on the aftermarket intake..unless all you want is more intake noise under throttle (if you like that sort of thing :)).

A good aftermarket filter in the stock airbox is a fine investment though...but I highly recommend staying away from the oiled gauze style filters. They can, and do cause problems with contamination issues of the mass air sensor. Better off to use a dry flow type filter like a Brute Force or something similar that doesn't use oil as a filtering media.

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I will check around. Def. dont wanna screw up the MAF, those are not cheap, lol. What would it do if I put in a chip, say from JET performance? Would it help any or would I still need the custom tune?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The "chips" or the handheld power programmers are a waste of money on the gas trucks as they still leave a ton of potential power untapped.

If your considering spending $350-$400 on a programmer that'll only add 15HP, you can have a custom tune done for the same price and it will add way more power than any store bought programmer or chip. Nelsons will custom tune a GM Gen III ECM (like your truck would have) for $375.... same price as one of Hypertech's handheld programmers that do very little as far as power/MPG's on the 6.0 trucks.

7. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

BB what kind of power and mileage can one expect with a custom tune. I will driving my 07 classic across the country soon pulling a 24 ft car trailer. Would it be a wise to get a tune before. Last time I did it I got like 8.5 MPG all the way to Las Vegas from Indiana and back.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

On the 6.0 trucks you can expect up to about 30 hp and 40 ft lbs with a 2 MPG increase in fuel mileage depending on the exacts of the tune you have done. But it's the responsiveness that the tuning adds that you really feel. These late model GM gas trucks have so much potential left in them (in the very conservative factory programming) it's crazy. I wouldn't hesitate to have a custom tune done.

9. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

B&B do the 350 vortecs respond to a tune well also? I would love to be able to pick up a few mpg and some noticable power.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They sure do ABES. The '96-'99 old gen Vortec's have alot of potential left on the table as well.

11. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Good deal I was looking into the Westers they have a dealer not too far from me I may have to go check them out.

12. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Okay now for these custom tunes..........how is it done?? I dont even know where to take the truck, if I have to take the truck, etc. Do any of these places have a website for me to even see if there is a location around here? Cant have the truck down for very long this time of the year.

13. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

This is the website I found when searching. If im not mistaken they just hook up a computer to the ecm and adjust the torque management. It doesnt sound like it would take them long at all.

http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/dealers.htm

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Actually what you do is call them up and give them all the specs on your truck..VIN, service # off the ECM, tire size, octane you normally use, and how you use the truck. They'll then send you a custom tuned ECM made to/for your specs. You then simply remove your stock ECM, install the upgraded one and then send your original ECM back to them for a core. This way you have absolutely no down time of the truck. Most outfits will also make changes to the tune if you want or need it at a later date for free. A good example would be a tire size change or some performance add on's at a later date after you did the original tune. Can't go wrong...

15. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Great, the only place they have here in Ohio is like 3 hours away:realmad: Guess it would be a fun drive back though:D

B&B that makes it much clearer for me!!!! So they can get you the proper tune over the phone essentially?? So get your performance stuff on, then give them a call and get your new ecm, sounds fairly easy then. Just takes that good ole money, lol

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  16. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

thre is even a cheaper place that does the same type of tuning.
    http://www.wait4meperformance.com/
    $159 for them to send you a computer with the type of programming you want and if you send back your core they give a 75 core return so $84 for a tune....I plan to keep my stock computer though.
    I think i'm gonna go that route with my new(to me) 6.0 mainly to get a few MPG out of it....when your in the 12MPG range 2MPG is huge!! and if that works out good maybe have them do my 99 camaro SS as well.

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The Waitforme guys also do nice work Donny...Westers does too, but they're also one of the most expensive.

My personal preference is Black Bear or Nelsons. In fact, Black Bear will actually rent you the software and cables to data log the operating characteristics of your truck with a laptop under actual driving conditions you then email the log back to them and they'll hand build you a custom tune to enhance your trucks performance under your actual conditions and driving style. Well worth the price.

18. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Okay so I changed my mind about the 3" body lift. I could use the fuel economy and power more. Now just gotta figure which place to go with. I do like the look of the Nelsons Performance place. 375 to do my truck. I will have to look into that wait for me performance there

19. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

I contacted them as well, (wait4me), and they said they can only tune 1996 & newer (OBDII) trucks,... :cry::cry:

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not to worry, still plenty of outfits out there that will tune the EEPROM/MEMCAL operated ECM's in the TBI GM trucks.

TBICHIPS and FASTCHIPS are two common ones....and I believe Wheatly's Performance tuning still does the TBI stuff. All good places..