1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Throttle body sensor

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by SWC, Jul 11, 2004.

1. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

Theirs a some sort of sensor on the passenger side of my throttle body.

It's a 5.7 liter 350 on a 93 K2500.

If the engine is cold, it'll fire right up, and runs well, idles correctly, and all that, but once it warms up and turn the engine off it won't start back, unless I unplug the sensor.

Is the sensor bad, or is it something in the computer?

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Is this sensor mounted directly on teh side of the throttle body, with the plug facing upwards, or is the sensor facing more back, with the connector straight out?

The first is the throttle position sensor, the second being the Idle Air Control valve. Both are under $30 to replace.

3. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

It's the TPS.

I replaced it.

I bought a book for it while I was at the parts place, so now I know what all of those gizmoes are, I even know how to do a diagnostic check on it now.

My next project is to eliminate all the gizmoes and put a carberator on it.

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Now why on earth would you want to do that? Besides all the work to do so, you will end up with a truck that won't run as well or pass emissions inspections. Not to mention that EFI works sooooooo much better on a plow truck... try plowing with a carb that doesn't want to cooperate, it can be just as much of a PITA as a TBI and doesn't have the benefits when working properly.

Back in about '97 I took the EFI 2.8 V6 out of my S15 and put in a carbed 3.8. Yes, it worked great, and with some careful tuning and such we snuck it past e-testing. However, if I knew then what I know now, I would never have taken off the EFI system (TBI) and gone to a carb.

Just my two cents....

Just FYI, I am in the middle of ADDING TBI injection to my '82 GMC K3500 dually....