1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Threw a Shoe

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sonnyny, Jan 7, 2005.

1. sonnyny

sonnyny Junior Member
    from vermont

I just noticed I lost a shoe on my Fischer 8' minute mount. I hit something fairly hard and the plow popped up as expected, kept going and later noticed it missing, the whole thing. Nothing there but the mount that is welded to the plow. Is this common? Should I be stockin' up on shoes??

2. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

Most driver would have stopped to make sure everything was ok.But every driver is diffrent, glad it wasn't a person...

As for your shoes never hurts to have a pair around

3. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

now those kind of sly remarks are un called for!!! the guy hit something and broke something and is asking for some advice and you come back with that!! REAL NICE...REAL NICE :angry:

4. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

He never stopped would you keep going if you ran something down that made the blade shot up and he kept going wtf would you do Harley keep going?? :realmad:

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

He says he hit something fairly hard. I think he means a man hole cover or raised black top. I sure don't get out of the truck every time I hit something.

If I were you I would take the other shoe off and use it for a door stop.

6. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

yup I'll keep going you jit s**t all the time when you plow city streets manhole covers,waterboxes,gas boxes and so on. you make it sound like the guy ran somebody down. so the moral of the story is if you have nothing good to say or any meaningful advice for someone who needs it move one

7. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Buy another shoe, Just make sure you don't buy one for the wrong foot.

8. rondoga

rondoga Junior Member

i lost 3 in one month :eek:
    i gave them up :)

9. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

How can you lose a shoe? Maybe your guys's set up is different but I cant see how you could just knock one off.

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Unless your plowing alot of gravel or large lots shoes are usless. Dump the remaining one. I never use them- why do you want something to hold the edge of the plow off the ground anyway- isn't that why we plow in the first place- to clear away the snow?? :jester:

11. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

you sure thats where you lost it, until now i've never heard of losing a shoe other than if you took them off and misplaced it, unless this is a normal occurrence on fisher i would try to think who was around at the last coffee stop. :gunsfiring:
    steve

12. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Look out there may be someone out there with a foot faddish.

13. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

You prob. just popped out the pin and lost the shoe.
    Shoes are cheaper than a new cutting edge !!!!!!

It also depends on what/where your plowing. With A properly adjusted shoe
    you can still scrape down to bare pavement............

For me shoes are a must ...going from blacktop to gravel to grass in 1 swipe.
    Sure saves a LOT of summer repair, raking, reseeding for me !.............geo

14. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

ya, i deal with everthing, gotta have the pads, one paved 3 gravels back to partial concrete then into dirt & 2 tracks then back to paved, opp's rambling sorry, feel like i been plowing for a few hours after that. :redbounce

15. paponte

paponte Senior Member

I've popped the bottoms off of alot of shoes. One the actualy shoe itself comes off, the post and easily pop right out. :)

16. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

I found Fisher feet (shoes) on the side of the road. I have two now. I also have a wing plow foot. :)

17. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I threw a shoe last year with my old F250 & Western plow. It was on my own driveway (only one I plowed last year) and the plow jumped up and bucked like a mustang on the loose. I found the shoe and it was just fine, in fact I found most of the spacers too, but the pin...who knows, probably shot out into the woods somewhere.

Anyway, I have to agree with Camland. Stop and check to see what you hit so you can either remove it, avoid it, or make note of it. Why? Because I didn't and this year I took a chunk out of my cutting edge on my new Blizzard because I forgot about that dam rock. :realmad:

Buck

18. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Yes Guys you can wear shoe's out. I just replaced both of mine. Last week I hear a scraping sound and look and all that is left is the pin and washers,no bottom.
    I go buy one new one, not two and this week same deal hear a noise and stop and look and no bottom shoe on the other side. I now have two new shoe's. The old one's lasted two years.

Regards Mike

19. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

The cast iron shoes( espescialy the cheaper ones) are real prone to breaking off at the shaft where it is cast into the wear pad. I have had a couple do that.The pressed steel ones I have worn them down until pad falls off, nothing but shaft left hanging.

20. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

I stopped using them. I'll just wear the cutting edge down instead. It doesn't wear down as fast. I had about a month per foot for the plow. :rolleyes: