1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Threaded rod vs. chain plow lift for driveways-Help.

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Dodgesnofiter, Dec 16, 2015.

1. I just purchase a former highway plow truck. It has a very heavily modified fisher 9ft plow with a solid threaded rod attached to a two hose lift piston. I can apply down pressure using the cab mounted central hydraulics. My question is will this rod(sorry, don't know what it is called) work for driveways or will it act like a bulldozer and rip things up. I will switch to chain if needed as I don't know if this cab mounted 6 stick hydraulic system has float. The former owner says it does but when I put the plow up and leave the lever in the middle, the plow stays in that position. I am plowing with a 72 Dodge W300 power wagon, 1989 cummins motor, Dana 70 front and rear axles(4.88 geared), Np205 divorced transfer case, hydraulic controlled 8ft wing plow and hydraulic sander in a dump. The weight is 11k without sand so the truck is quite heavy. Any help with what this rod is called and if it will work on level driveways or just roads will be appreciated.

2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Push the lever down all the way, will it stay there?

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

U got pics?

4. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

It should have a detent for float on the lever that controls up and down. Even if it does not with a little practice you should be able to plow with that. It will be harder until it freezes. Did you get the wing blade also?

5. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Sweeeeeeeet!

6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Wonder if he switched to solid lift ram from chain lift to prevent the plow from flying up into the air when it tripped. Whatever the deal with the hydro controls, I would definitely screw around with them to make sure there is a float control. Not having float control would put a ton of pressure on the plow and truck. The thing should float as all plows are designed to.

7. I agree, it should float, otherwise I will be ripping up some area's and not clearing others. But most of the driveways are pretty level and smooth, but they are all gravel. Hmmm...worth picking up the chain and keeping the rod till it get's icy-then I can scrape if needed.