1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Threaded rod vs. chain plow lift for driveways-Help.

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Dodgesnofiter, Dec 16, 2015.

1. I just purchase a former highway plow truck. It has a very heavily modified fisher 9ft plow with a solid threaded rod attached to a two hose lift piston. I can apply down pressure using the cab mounted central hydraulics. My question is will this rod(sorry, don't know what it is called) work for driveways or will it act like a bulldozer and rip things up. I will switch to chain if needed as I don't know if this cab mounted 6 stick hydraulic system has float. The former owner says it does but when I put the plow up and leave the lever in the middle, the plow stays in that position. I am plowing with a 72 Dodge W300 power wagon, 1989 cummins motor, Dana 70 front and rear axles(4.88 geared), Np205 divorced transfer case, hydraulic controlled 8ft wing plow and hydraulic sander in a dump. The weight is 11k without sand so the truck is quite heavy. Any help with what this rod is called and if it will work on level driveways or just roads will be appreciated.
  2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Push the lever down all the way, will it stay there?
  3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

U got pics?
  4. I will take pictures. As far as pushing the lever all the way down I will try that but am not sure how to know if it floats other than plowing with it. We have not snow here in NH yet. Thank you for the responses guys.
  5. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Just put some earplugs in and try it on uneven bare pavement. Just a short distance and go slow to see if you can see if the plow moves with the contours of the pavement.
  6. lfaulstick

lfaulstick Member
    from PA

or maybe use a floor jack and see if it starts to pick plow and truck at same time?...just a sober though for a minute since it is raining and no snow!
  7. I could try that. I will be getting some photos of the equipment used uploaded soon.
  8. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

To answer your question it should work as long as it will float but I would get rid of that turnbuckle and put a chain back on it like it was meant to have
  9. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

That threaded rod is a toplink that is mainly used on a three point hitch of a tractor. While they're strong, I have bent them on my 45hp tractor; not sure how. I would think that it would bend easily when used on a fast moving plow if you hit something.
  10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

That's better than welded chain.....lol
  11. maxwellp

It should have a detent for float on the lever that controls up and down. Even if it does not with a little practice you should be able to plow with that. It will be harder until it freezes. Did you get the wing blade also?
  12. https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=6ca1c8c8238d596f214385307b595a41&oe=56E2983D

Damn it, why can't I attach the image and show it? But yes it has the wing. I also got a one way plow and a v-plow. Something was wrong with this guy to get all these plows for such a small truck.
  13. maxwellp

I think it is your picture host
    OK edit it is not - this is with your picture host.
  14. maxwellp

Nice old truck. I would love to have to wing. I have never seen a wing on a pickup, used one for years on a larger dump truck.
  15. maxwellp

Hit the square that has the little mountains in it and put your link in there. I think you may have used the one with world in it.
  16. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

UMMmmmm That threaded rod is just making a brace from the A frame to the top of the plow. Has nothing to do with DP.

While the plow is strait there is no load on it. But when the plow is angled that rod is going to put a lot of stress on the pivot bolt by trying to tip the plow towards the front.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  17. You must be right on the "mountain" thing. I appreciate the help. Usually I just post using attachments or something. I told the wife I bought the truck to plow the driveway as we use to have a 78 W300 and 79 W200 with dana 60 front. Little bit of overkill but it will be nice to have wing later in winter, if we ever get snow this year. I was also approached by the state to plow but they wanted me to travel far far away. This truck was a MassDot truck up till last year. The former owner says he built it but I know that is not true. It is all Dodge except the cummins conversion which he might have done. I plowed with it last year for the state when he owned it and loved it. The down pressure is a bit excessive as the front end comes way up. And considering its a heavy diesel, dana 70 etc that is saying something. The dump too is valved fast as it will launch things if engine is rev'd. Love my ole dodges since I grew up on them at my fathers Dodge dealer. Thanks again for the comments and help. I will try that detent. Never looked for it before as we were plowing off ramps and highways which were pretty smooth.
  18. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

That rod is just leaning on the top of the plow and not connected to anything. It connects to the lift cylinder arm but is currently disconnected.