1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thread about my Ferd.

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Willman940, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

I miss my truck a lot, and my parents are tired of hearing about it. So I thought I'd make a thread about it.
    [​IMG]
    As some of you have read in the repair section, the VIN says its a 99, but pretty much everything in the cab but the cab itself is from an 02. Previous owner says it was because he didn't like the original interior, car fax says it was rolled 3 overs ago, but everyone says the wiring is.......bad. Whoever did the interior swap and for whatever reason took everything from an 02 with an automatic transmission and and auto transfer-case, so its throwing about 50 codes. I don't know if its the 5 or 6 speed. I know its a Manuel but I've heard both. its got 5 speeds and granny low. R L 1 2 3 4 D. Right now its at Gary's Diesel in Loretto cause they were best shop I could find. I tried Boyer but they didn't want to touch it because it "couldn't be done" because they wanted to just fix the 02 interior, and I had told them it was a 5 speed (cause I thought that's what it was) which wasn't available in 02. Anyway, I know this job is no small feet, and how its done will determine how many problems I have with this truck down the road. I know its going to have problems but after 3 years of searching for my dream truck this came along. Even thought my dad made sure I had a mechanic look at it before I bought it, he told me it was cherry and everything was great. I know for one thing either he didn't check the tranny or he was the one who got the socket stuck in it. Oh well its too late now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds to me like a rolling headache that would have a for-sale sign in it.

There's more trucks out there that match what you have now that aren't loaded with problems.

3. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

Yea that thought has crossed my mind, but a 7.3 with no underbody rust, and under 100K sold me. Frankly I think it might be cheaper to fix it then cause I know I'll never get my money out of it, and at 20 years old its more of a loss then I can take.

4. ProLawn Outdoor

ProLawn Outdoor Senior Member

When it sounds too good to be true it usually is. But I would have picked that baby right up as well if I were looking for a truck, lol. You win some you lose some, lesson learned. Gary's diesel is a good shop I have heard, my buddy had a lot of work done there and they were happy. What are you hanging on the front?

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Look down south (Texas area) and you'll probably find quite a few trucks that match your criteria. I'm not sure what you have into your truck currently but it may not be a bad idea before you end up with a gigantic money pit that continuously drives you crazy.

6. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

Pro Lawn, now sure, as of now I'm working for another contractor. Maybe next year, who knows, I need to pay the truck off and make sure I'm keeping it before I start seriously looking for a plow. For the fun of it I'd say Western, Blizzard, or Boss. We have Western and Blizzard at work, their nice plows. buddy of mine just bought 2 new boss Vs, that are pretty sweet too, but I've never plowed with them.

Mark, I do value your opinion, especially since your no stranger to the diesel world. But I'm 20 years old, My Father helped me get a loan for it as a graduation gift (I've been searching since high school). I used to think I wasn't in the right position to fly somewhere with a wad of cash and come home with a truck. But at the same time I thought I did my due diligence here. The most I can do is see what Craig and the guys at Gary's have to say. If it really is that bad.....well then I guess I'll start looking in texas. What I've asked them to do is redo all the wiring with stock ford harnesses. Which I figure will have the least problems, but who knows. I did a lot of research on what shop to go to and everyone accept the tow truck driver who picked me up when the parking brake release cable snapped way out of town said go to Gary's their the best. Not to mention the more I go to dealers, the more they seem to have their heads in their rears. Who knows, I'm hoping and praying for the best. Maybe a Christmas mircale, but readying myself for the worst.

Merry Christmas everyone.

7. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

That would be a 6spd, what's all wrong with it?

8. 87chevy

87chevy Senior Member

It has a L and D on the knob?

9. plowingkid35

plowingkid35 Senior Member

You just gotta look HARDER, i bought 3 7.3's in the past three months all with under 200k for under 10k. They are out there. Two out of the three have no rust. It takes time but gotta remember that diesels last along time, BUT you can put a lot of money into em in a matter of seconds. Just like any other vehicle out there, but just look. I found all of mine in minnesota. I post a quick picture of the ones i got. Trust me they are there, Dump that thing. All of the ones I've found are crew cabs too. Just look, trust me

powerstrokes.jpg

10. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

She runs and drives fine, just throws codes and some of the various features don't work I.E. 4x4 light and power locks. Since it's the 6 speed that makes things a bit easier it means I can keep the 02 interior and cause that was an option in 02 and you can program it to work right. At least that's judging by why Boyer said it wouldn't work. basically the problem is the Gem module and the hec module and wiring are made for an auto transmission and auto T case.

11. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

it sounds like you bought a can of worms with a good engine and trans that isnt rusty and they forgot the rest of the frame and bed at the ford plant

12. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

I'd give you advice but I can barely make out your sentences.
    Work on the grammar next time.
    I do like the exterior color though.
    Merry Christmas.

13. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

Talk about a ******** post.

Anyway, hope you figure out the wiring issues with this rig. I'm a Chevy guy, but I love the 7.3's. If you work out these bugs you'll have this truck for a very long time. Keep us posted!

14. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

My thoughts exactly, Mark!

15. plowingkid35

plowingkid35 Senior Member

The 7.3's are best motor from ford hands down no matter what. i myself had one that i just parted ways with that had 407,000miles on it and i never did any big motor work. (Glow Plugs and Relays) that dang near 4x as many miles as some of those 6.0's have been going before you need to put injectors in

16. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

A large part of that comes into how you maintain you vehicle. I have had 7.3, 6.0, 6.4 and 6.7 never had to really do anything to any of them besides maintenance and one EGR valve on my 6.4 and one injector on one of my 6.0. but i am a strong believer in maintaing my trucks.

17. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

I didn't know you got a new truck. Like someone said before "You win some, you lose some." We have all bought vehicles like that.

18. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

Got some good news today, turns out the cab was swapped after it was rolled but it still has the 99 wiring harness, that has not been messed with. Because it has the 02 Gem and all that its throwing codes because the 99 wiring harness does not have a spot for the ECT sensor.

So thats better, I guess.

And Primo/Conifer, I only got it about a month ago.