1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

thoughts?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Idealtim, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

I am going to buy a [new to me]truck this summer to pull a little 6-10 foot foot trailer and to plow next winter.The trailer isnt that heavy and a ranger would probly pull it.But as for plowing im not sure what to get.I need something from the 90s that is not a chevy and is worthy of plowing about 10-15 good sized drives.I want to buy the plow separate so the truck hasnt been stressed.Any ideas for a truck,plow combo?Any input would work,thanks.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For "good sized" driveways, I'd really recommend at least a 1/2 ton truck with a 7.5' RD (or equivelant regular duty) plow. The front end components on the Ranger or S10 are really too light for plowing. If you're insisting on a Ranger, then get a 6' or 6.5' plow and plow every 3-4".

I just realized you posted this in the "Non Commercial" section. By plowing "10-15" driveways (presumably for money), you ARE plowing commercially.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Yeah, that is commercial plowing- plowing for $$.
    Get a full size- I agree with Mick- toy trucks are a bit weak for that kind of use.

4. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

thanks for the input, i agree with you. I guess it is commercial.Even though you could do a lot with a 1/4 ton, id hate to have to turn down work when it gets overloaded.The more that i think about it, if the truck looks clean, the guy whos selling it probly didnt beat it:rolleyes: .

5. go plow

go plow Senior Member

pls dont take this the wrong way but, i would worry about getting a truck first, before you worry about getting overloaded with work. its really not as easy as you might think !!!!!!!!

6. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Buy something you like and make it work--1/2 ton would be great, a jeep would work---some guy's swere by full size blazer/ bronco's. I don't know what your price range is, but if you do buy something light-- you may have to make upgrades to the suspension--Check out the light truck forums for ideas and disscusions. best of luck

7. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

Thanks for the input. I was looking for something under 10 grand.And another thing, do you report that you are plowing commercially to your insurance company?Me, being under twenty, will get the rates raised if i sneeze the wrong way.

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If you want your insurance to be in force while plowing - yes. If you don't want to be covered by insurance, then no.

9. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

Welcome to the world of business.
    Best of luck

mike

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Remember, you can buy a lot of truck for under 10 grand. You can get mid 90's Dodge Diesel 2500's for that now......

11. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

I have heard great things about the cummins turbo. Ill just need to see what comes up.

12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

While I heartily love my CTD and my Dodge, my comment is more a "don;t sell yourself on a light duty truck or an ancient truck based on the dollar amount. Many newer and bigger/heavier duty and probabily more suitible trucks can be had for that dollar amount."

Just to clarify.