1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

thoughts wanted.... is it better to...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Premier, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Premier

Premier Senior Member

I have a truck that has been giving me problems this year and today the trans started slipping. I am going to fix it and keep it as a back up for that just incase situation. what ever truck I get to replace it will be for snow removal only and I am torn on buying or leasing I like the idea of leasing cuz after i beat the heck out of it for a few years its gone and i get a new one. On the other hand if I buy a new one and only use it for snow removal services it would last me a long time. what are your thoughts?
  2. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

Buy a 1yr old truck, still under warranty and sell it just after the warranty expires. Truck is covered and you won't lose $10-12,000 the first year in depreciation.

Leasing might have a stipulation about vehicle use. Don't know as I've never leased a vehicle.
  3. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

Leasing is a waste. All you are doing is flushing money down the toilet. Why not find a good used truck, and take care of it? That way once it is paid off, it is still in working order and all it does is make you money. payup
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Buy a new or almost new truck and buy it. I'd rather make pyment to own a base model truck then lease a loaded one.
  5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I agree, with a work truck you'll get nickle and dimed to death upon lease return. Better off buying a year old (certified pre-owned) and getting the warranty that comes with it. READ the terms of the warranty. I almost bought a truck this summer with a "lifetime powertrain warranty" but on the back a stipulation was that plowing or commercial use would not be covered. I circled it and threw it at the salesman who was using it as a sales pitch the entire time (the truck had a plow on it)
  6. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

^ that's hilarious!!!
  7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Prime in Saco. It was a nice truck too, 2006 Chevy Crew Cab with 50k miles on it with an 8' MM2, I got them down to $18000 on it. Then I saw that and they started making up crap about my truck. Nearly punched the guy and his sales manager.
  8. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

HHAHAHAHAH I walked into prime in westbrook when looking for a car for the wife. Some "out of college this is the best job I could get" guy starts b.s.ing me about my wife old ranger.( A florida truck with 4wd, fx4 package low miles mint....$$$) after 20 minutes of them not telling me what they wanted for an edge on the lot we walked out and went to casco bay. Good service, good sales.
  9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

buy and dont lease
  10. 01lariat

01lariat Member

Buy a pretty new truck, or at least one that is in excellent condition. Anytime your down it is a loss of money. The season is short, you can't afford to break down. I'd shoot for one as new as possible that isn't a stripped out plain jane.
    Leasing is out of the question. That works for the executive commuting to work, not a truck actually working.
  11. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

For a Work only truck find a one year old truck with 10-20k miles, or a new one If you can get a good deal on a left over model. I have had friends lease trucks and the problems that come when it's time to turn them in. I would NOT recommend leasing anything Especially a work truck.