1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on When to Salt/Not Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Midatlanticpowe, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Midatlanticpowe

Midatlanticpowe Junior Member

So we had Snow, Freezing Rain, Sleet and Rain in that order through the day on Sunday here in MD. We salted the lots before the snow this morning and the temps were right around freezing. Im trying to see who salts before a forecast like that or who waits until after the snow removal to salt. Or Salt before and after. We were right on the border of the latter rain being all freezing so I wanted to play it safe. Especially at Churhes and other lots where you know people are coming, no matter what the weather.
  2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

We salted everywhere from national harbour and over.
  3. Midatlanticpowe

We didnt get hardly any snow near Annapolis. Did you do any pushing? I didnt see how bad it was out your way
  4. rbljack

rbljack Member
    from Texas

Subscribing here too. In our area, overnight storms can cause problems for a day up to a few days. Rare, but it happens. Trying to figure out if I should put salt down before or after, or both. If both, im guessing you charge based on total bags used for both applications.
  5. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Sometimes I'll pre salt if were getting an inch or less, if I lay it down heavy the snow melts as it hits the pavement so I won't have to drop my plow and I'll still get paid for an inch push and salt.

There are times I'll pre salt if we get a lot of snow as this keeps it from freezing to the pavement if cars are driving over it and when I scrape it peels right up

I'm a big fan of dumping salt. This recent ice storm we just got a dusting with freezing rain all day. The lots were like mirrors you could ice skate on them.
    Since I salted right when it began to fall I was able to scrape up the ice when the storm passed. Most of the lots people didn't apply salt early they were constantly re freezing and they were salting 2 and 3 times.
    I do well with salt applications there is good money in it for me
  6. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

No it switched over way to fast
  7. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

if the lots are wet and temps drop under 32, the get a dusting in the am to hold them thru the day
  8. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

if you have a busy lot then a pre salt will prob help a lot and melt most of the snow away. if it snows too much then it won't really melt any snow and you end up plowing it salt the curb. only thing is you might get a cleaner scrape
  9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If you know your going to get some snow you and the ground will be wet you can put some down and it will form a brine and help the snow from packing down to much.
  10. SnoDaddy

SnoDaddy Senior Member
    from ohio

I always presalt b4 plowable snow. Squeegees clean when u plow burns off initial inch makes life easy
  11. BossPlowMaster

BossPlowMaster Senior Member

I seem to feel that that is never the case no matter how hard I try. Hahah and to answer the original question.... It's personal preference.... I really am interested in getting a brine sprayer and try it on a few of my lots. Typically i try and "season" the lots with a lot of salt early on in the winter and then less is needed later on.... Season it like a cast iron skillet payup
  12. Midatlanticpowe

Thats what I thought. My whole goal is to make it so the snow doesnt pack hard when cars drive over during the storm and after I plow. The worst are the McDonalds, of course there the cheapest also and dont want to call you out until everything is over.
    To add to the question how heavy do you apply the salt? I know this is a general question, but I have seen people lay on a layer literally covering every square inch compared to a general spread that puts on a light spread out layer. Been doing this 12 years and just seeing what different opinions were out there. Thanks