1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

thoughts on truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by supersteve1191, Aug 28, 2009.

1. supersteve1191

supersteve1191 Member

I wanna get a new truck and this is a possible candidate.
    here is the link http://nmi.craigslist.org/cto/1338154808.html
    91,000 on motor. It has a LS1 bottom end
    21,000 on the tranny
    191,000 on the body

I would really like a 3/4 ton but can't find any that catch my eye. So let me know your thoughts on this one.
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

An LS1 bottom end? You're meaning it has a complete LS1 conversion swapped into the old body style?

I'd have to assume so because Gen 2 Vortec and LS1 internal engine components do not interchange. Perhaps he simply means a newer than the truck (as in '98 or '99) Vortec CPI engine.
  3. supersteve1191

supersteve1191 Member

he told me LS1 with the stock vortec heads
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then either he doesn't know what he's talking about or he was misinformed because they're nowhere close to interchangable. The only components that will interchange between those two engine families are the rod bearings...and thats it.
  5. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

+1 there is now way to mix the two.. :nono:
  6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Well not to be a putts, but didnt GM have an LS1 engine back in the 70's for the Corvette?? Maybe that way, but no way would a new LS1 fit with vortec heads. The LS engines dont have a distributor, where as the older vortec would. And I believe the exhaust ports on the vortec are D shaped, where as the LS1 is round. Maybe the guy meant LT1 parts instead of LS1?
  7. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

I could see it being another Gen-1 small block bottom end, but not an LS1. The L31 heads are reverse flow cooling, and I think wouldnt fit the Gen-2 LT1 (roadmaster motor). The heads could fit the Gen-1 LT1 (1970-1972), and many other Gen-1 small blocks, being that the L31 itself was the last of the Gen-1 GM small blocks in production.

Sydenstricker, I dont think there was an LS1, but there was LS6, the 454 big block code in the Vette.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  8. supersteve1191

supersteve1191 Member

this guy said it came out of a corvette but idk but it seems a little over priced...here is another one i found and it seems like a great deal to me, the only downside is it doesn't have a third door. http://saginaw.craigslist.org/cto/1346711347.html
  9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

There was an ls1, a 5.7/350 ci motor. I believe the first year of the gto's had it and camaros and trans ams and the 'vette at some point. And I'm sure other vehicles also.
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Don't mean to clog Steve's thread up anymore and this has nothing to do with his original question but I'd like to clean up a few thoughts/beliefs here...

You're thinking of the original LT1 from 1970 Tom. Would of course be a Gen1. Outstanding engine for it's time.

Possibly, but the LT1's/LT4's ('92-'96) are true reverse cooling and many of the external L31 components do not work nor physically fit ...the water pump and timing cover would be two of them due partially to the Opti-Spark ignition system they used.

Actually the L31 Vortec heads (and block for that matter) are NOT reverse cooling...but the LT1's/LT4's are. Which is one reason they are not compatible between the two. And is the same reason you can bolt them onto any Gen1 engine.

The best way to increase the asking price of a vehicle is to advertise it as having a highly sought after "Corvette" engine. Would you rather pay more for a vehicle with a Vette engine or one from grandpa's crashed G20 conversion van? Very popular seller's ploy for many many years and still is today.

The FIRST production LS1's were installed in the Corvette...but not until '97, Camaros got them the following year. The GTO's (Holden manufactured) didn't get them until they were relaunched as a 4th Gen...in 2004. Which were by then designated an LS3 or 6. Same family though.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  11. supersteve1191

supersteve1191 Member

so could it be the LS1 from the 97 vettes?
  12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Year isn't important, you're still talking swapping with an LS1. And to do that you'd still need to use the ENTIRE engine, external accessories, complete under hood wiring and ECM from the LS1. As like I mentioned nothing interchanges between the L31 and LS1 except the rod bearings.