1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

thoughts on timbrens

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JRS Landscaping, Nov 30, 2010.

1. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping Senior Member

i have a 2005 dodge 2500 diesel with plow prep pkg with a 8'6" pro plus and it sags pretty good with the plow on. the bump stops have about an inch till the hit the axle. are the timbrens worth it?

2. piperpm

piperpm Member

Big fan of Timbrens -- they work great for us! tymusic

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

It will keep you from sagging as badly since they will be resting on the axle pretty much any time the plow is up but it surely wont increase your load carrying capacity. They are basically a band-aid. Heavier front springs would be a better solution.

4. JRS Landscaping

did you do anything to your front end? i see you have basically the same truck as me i have a reg cab.

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I did nothing. I put about 900 lbs of sand and salt against the tailgate. Nose drops maybe an inch when I lift the plow.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

timbrens and ballast are a good idea

7. JRS Landscaping

i am going to put ballast in it , but i dont think thats going to help out the front end just give the rear more traction. i bought this truck in the summer so its my first winter with this truck.

8. 09Busa

09Busa Senior Member
    from NY

Ballast will help out with the way your front end sits........adding timbrens also will help out your front end. make sure your ballast is as close to the tailgate as possible......

9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ballast will add weight to the front axle

counter weight will remove weight from the front axle

ballast; is weight placed between the front and rear axles
    counter; weight is placed BEHIND the REAR axle

10. espyj

espyj Member

I put Timbrens on my GMC. Pretty pleased so far and they're a good bang for the buck.

11. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

Timbrens are a good way to go. No problems at all. They do the job.
    As far as on the front I would make sure you have the HD springs. I like having the plow springs.

12. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i was wondering the same thing. i bought my truck in april and my plow is going on wednesday so im interested in how the front end will hold the weight. ill be getting some timbrens if i need to

13. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

I always recomend making sure you have the right springs it just makes everthing work better.

14. ctplowing

ctplowing Junior Member

I have Timbrens for my '98 F150. Work great. Thumbs Up

15. jondpm

jondpm Junior Member

I would put 4500 or 5500 springs in and try that. that will also lift the truck to.

16. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

6000lb only..

17. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Ballast is added behind the rear axle to counter balance the weight of the plow.

18. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I've got Timbrens on my '06 F350 crew cab short box. They help, but marginally. If I add some weight behind the rear axle, life is better. I'll likely put heavier front springs in before next season, if not sooner....we'll see how busy I am this season.

19. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

No,

ballast is just weight, counterweight does as its name sake says it "counters" the plow weight. weight placed in front of the rear axle adds weight to the both the front and rear suspension and is ballast. weight added behind the rear axle will reduce the weight on the front axle and counters the weight of the plow.

According to wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballast

"Ballast weights, metallic plates used to bring auto racing vehicles up to the minimum mandated weight. "

wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterweight
    "A counterweight is an equivalent counterbalancing weight that balances a load"

20. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Also from Wikipedia

Ballast carried aboard an aircraft, for example:
    in gliding to increase speed and/or adjust the aircraft's center of gravity