1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

thoughts on this

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by vincent, May 1, 2009.

1. vincent

vincent Senior Member

Priced a new 8.2 boss VXT at a local dealer, $6700 +$850 for install. Plain V was $6300 + $650 on install.

WTF! Now I may be dumb, but not stupid. I'm seeing prices from eastern on ebay for $5100.

I don't get it, and to top it off, he said I better order now because he sold 60 of these plows last year if I didn't want to wait.

My sport duty looks better all the time. It will just look funny on a full size.
  2. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Call around to other dealers. You will be surprised how much of a difference between prices at different dealers. Save the $650 on the install, and do it yourself. It is easy to do yourself, having another guy for the mount or a floor jack would be nice. Good luck

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

The prices on ebay are just the plows, the mounts and wiring. The plow is in a box and you have to put it together. I have been thinking about buying one on there. Otherwise, call your dealer and tell him you want to order one with everything you need in a crate, and that you want to assemble it.
  4. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

A few thoughts.....

Buy a complete package from either a dealer or out of a catalog to install yourself.
    Most plows bolt on your truck with little or no drilling. Directions, if followed, will walk you step by step on the install.

Post here in the wanted section....there are many people here and all over that may be downsizing their fleet/equipment due to the economy or bad winter. You could get a slightly used system at a great price. A local landscaper bought a brand new western mvp poly 9.5ft. plow last fall, installed on a 05 Chevy 3500. Used it 5 times this past winter (back-up truck/plow) Business is not good so far this year, not many contracts signed. He was asking $2300 less that what he paid for it last year. It sold in 2 days.......
    Those deals and even better ones are out there.....

Buy the plow system and size you want used. As long as it was not abused...refurbish it.
    You may need to buy a specific mount and wiring, but then everything truckside would be brand new then.....
  5. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

There is a used western 8 on craiglist for 3500. Says it was used once. Not sure if thats big enough for you. Carpet business must be doing good.:D Lets see a picture of the new truck.
  6. vincent

vincent Senior Member

after taking the plow submount and wiring off the traded truck, I will do the install next time.

And yes, I have been forunate the late winter and early spring, the carpet cleaning business, especially on the commercial side has been excellent.