1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

thoughts on this year's snow?...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SCSIndust, Jul 25, 2004.

1. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about what to expect this winter, especially in the mid-atlantic. Nobody has been saying much and I am wondering if this year's bad heat would contribute to a good winter... but it has rained quite a lot in the past two lawn seasons. Any news?

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

We only got two huge storms here last winter then the rest were a bunch of 4" or less storms. We had almost nothing in January and febuary, the big ones came in December and March. Iam hoping for a more consistant winter this year with snow throughout and 2 or 3 big storms one for each month. I think we will have above average precip this winter the question is (at least for where I live) weather the cold air will keep pushing south like it did last winter. Last winter in Jan it was too cold for any major snow, all the big dumps (in Jan) stayed south and east of me.

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

who knows farmers alamnac was wrong with heavy snow in the feb and march they were wrong just gonna wait and see i had a good last winter 03/04

4. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

I hope to God its snow heavy this year!!!!!!!!!!

5. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

i think if weather pattern stays the same the northeast is in for some serious snow. one can only hope.

6. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

O GREAT SNOW GOD's WE WORSHOP YOU PLEASE SEND US ALOT OF SNOW.:salute:

7. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I heard (actually read) that this year is supposed to be El Nino, which means above average snow for the NE. Wether that is true, I don't know. I am just anxiously awaiting the new farmers almanac this month....

8. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

i will second that.

9. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

I'll 3rd that payup :D

10. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I think its a little too early but its great for wishfull thinking. If history is any indication, usually if we have a semi dry summer then usually we do good in the winter as far as frozen precip is concerned. It'll be interesting to see the famers almanac though.

11. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

around here if its cool a and wet summer it's a cold snowy winter. i think it should be a good year.

12. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

Thats how it has been soo far up here. Wet and cool

13. Frank Lopez

Frank Lopez Junior Member

Let's try to get the El Nino and La Nina straight, El Nino brings warmer weather, La Nina brings above precip. I hope I'm correct on this issue and if not please correct me. thanks frank

14. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

Man if this winter is anything like last winter I may as well sell my plow and just salt for all the 1" sno storms we get :angry: :realmad:

15. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

el nino and el nina effect differant parts of the country differantly. i have noticed around here years of el nino we get alot of precip but with el nina we dont. could be wrong but dont think i am. if so i would also like to be set straight.

16. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

El Nino means snow for the NE. La Nina means no snow for NE.

17. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

as long as it snows here I will be happy, I could care less if it happens anywhere else ;)

18. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

THe one comforting thing about last years dismall winter is that a lot of people will give up plowing and that should mean better business for those who have survived. Hoping this year we will get blasted. Best of luck to you.

19. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

Good point!!!! Bad years always weed out those guys who just buy a plow and call themselves pros.... keeps this industry honest.

20. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

What will go around will come arond