1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on this trailer saltspreader set up

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snowish10, Dec 26, 2013.

1. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

2. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Too bad the price tag is brutal.

3. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

pretty sweet.

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Pain in the ass if you have to back down tight alleyways, loading docks etc. or maneuver between cars. I have considered setting something like this up for backup though, as it can be pulled by anything....

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Ya it is....

6. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

Don't forget trying to stop in the snow with a trailer like that, I think tarco ??? Has something like this with a stainless v box

7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Its nothing more than a vbox mounted on a dual axle trailer.

I don't understand why its expensive?

8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I would build my own.... and it would have trailer brakes for sure.

9. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Eh, I'd go find a used pull behind ag spreader first before dealing with that.

[​IMG]

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

A pull behind ag spreader needs hydraulics for the spinner. We made a 2 yard Monroe spreader into a 4 yard and mounted it on a trailer with 2 7k axles. It worked really well and almost cut my spreading time in half. It was 15 years ago when I used it and it was a good cheap way to get me through until I could make the next step up to a 33k truck.

11. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Oh, there are some manual styles that run off a chain and ground spead. That and if you found an old used one you could turn it into an electric setup.

But agreed, probably just as easy to find a spreader and mount it to a trailer.

I'm just saying if you have a dedicated pull behind unit specifically for specific purposes, there are other options.

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I've never seen a ground drive spinner on a fertilizer spreader as you need even coverage. We still own a home built drag chain tandem axle spreader that runs ground drive for both spinner and chain. My dad built it around 1980 and that's all he used to spread with back then. The problem with it is you have to back and disengage it to back up. We have a fertilizer spreader on the farm and it does not work well for salt or we'd use it for backup. The best way is to mount a pickup spreader on a trailer with brakes on both axles and go from there. I'm only saying this as we've tried pretty much all the tow options out there. There's still a few guys running around here with trailer spreaders and they make out very well with them.

13. johndeereguy

johndeereguy Senior Member
    from Iowa

So much is this thing?

14. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

15. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

That looks like turf tires

16. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

Id def build a trailer that trailer looks like ****

17. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

around here ag spreaders are pony motor ran spinners and chain runs off ground speed

There 40 of them sitting at the MFA store to rent I rented one to spread salt long time ago works well for salt as long the lot is empty no cars around

18. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

i have seen quite a few mounted on a trailer but i have never seen one in person
    http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/hvo/4213542427.html
    and i sure would hate for that trailer to slide left or right into something or someone while i am towing it through the ice and snow

19. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

The guy I contract through actually has the SnowEx SP-7000 Tow Behind spreader (the one mounted on a trailer) with street tires on it. He uses it in the City of Chicago, and the surrounding suburbs. In and out of parking lots, alleys, parking garages...you name it. He bought it because he didn't want a v-box in his personal truck at the end of the day when he is done plowing and wants to go out on the town. If you are comfortable towing a trailer, then you use this item. Yes it is not cheap, but for his purposes it was fitting. We have several other salt trucks on the street as well, but this one gets talked about the most...even more than than the Kenworth semi with a custom made stainless steel v-box mounted on the 5th wheel. Everyone gets what they need to get the job done in the manner they need or want it done :)

20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

They have 40 with pony motors? I have no idea why you want a pony motor on a fertilizer spreader when your pulling it with a tractor with either pto or hydraulics but I guess some things are different in differnt parts of the country.