1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

thoughts on this mini bar?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Beater_K20, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Beater_K20

Beater_K20 Member

i'm tired of using the autozone special rotating beacons that my grandfather used back when he was plowing. i've continued to use them since taking on the responsibilities of plowing the street my grandma lives on (considered a private drive by the city- dead end street with like 6 houses on it), and plowing out the family driveways since they were already in the truck. i burned up 2 of them, and bought the third because money was tight. i'm looking for something that's going to be a little more visible, and to eliminate the wire running from the cigarette lighter out the back window, or out the door.

i'm not looking to spend a whole lot, since i just do this on the side, yet i want something that's going to be a little more visible.

i came across the Star Aerostar mini bars. decently priced, and not too boxy looking like a Whelen Responder (i hate that look, and it cant be good for aerodynamics) i'm thinking halogens are going to be best for me, and i'm looking to permanent mount it.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.truckntow.com/pc-9796-147125-star-aerostar-20-halogen-mini-bar-magnetic-mount-amber.aspx

i know that price isnt the best, as i have seen a couple places cheaper, but without as much info on the site. i figured i'd get some feedback on it before i start really searching. thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

2. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

Hello

This is a basic good light. More money can be spent on other bars, however if your just doing the 1 local street this should do fine.

3. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Not a bad little light, there's places around you can get that type of double rotator light that's small for that price or just under.

If you look at some of the other threads you can find alot of people that give sites that sell and have service for their products. Check them out.

I've never seen a STAR bar and don't know if it's made here in the US but please check around.

Just trying to help you out so you don't get bit if something goes wrong with the bar.

4. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

i like the whelen Guardian better

5. Beater_K20

Beater_K20 Member

guardian actually looks a little better to me, both in price and size.

6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

hey , i had that exact bar for a while.....it worked good for about 3 seasons...then started getting slow, now keep in mind i did run it alot, so for ur use you might be ok, it was bright, had good warning for cars, simple to hook up, very easy to mount, i mouted mine to my back rack ... had good "lines or style " to it and matched my dodge very nicly....

i have seen gone to strobes, and leds, for power saving reasons, and the slow rotation started to bug me after a while

I went with the clear one with yellow filters

7. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Guardian all the way. It's the best light for the price IMO. I love mine.