1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on this 2000 Chevy 3/4, im looking to buy

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ChevyHD4X4, Nov 2, 2015.

1. ChevyHD4X4

ChevyHD4X4 Senior Member

2000 CHEVROLET K2500 SILVERADO EXT CAB 3RD DOOR 4X4 3/4 TON, 6.0 LITER V-8, AUTO, CLOTH INTERIOR NON-SMOKER, FACTORY ALLOY WHEELS, NEW TIRES, NO RUST, VERY CLEAN ONE OWNER TRUCK.
    They are asking $7950.00 has 190K

I would be mounting a 8'6" Poly Boss V blade and winter driving the truck. Any big items I should look out for?

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Rusted brake lines.

3. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

Add fuel lines, look at the frame around steering box. Broken exhaust manifold bolts in heads.

4. johnnywaz

johnnywaz Senior Member

Make sure to look at all the exhaust manifold bolts VERY closely! EVERY single 6.0 litre I have ever looked at for friends with 100k miles or more has broken exhaust manifold bolts or some completely missing. Take a good flashlight and look closely at every bolt.

5. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

keep in mind this is a 2000 truck, the 99 and 2000 gmt800 body style trucks are the pre HD model trucks, semi floater 10.5" smaller rears and cast iron heads instead of the 317 aluminum heads on the 01+ hd model trucks. Still strong trucks but these usually pull less money because of what they are. I dont see to many broken head studs but have heard others say that especially if you are in a heavy salt area but with the iron heads i wouldnt be as concerned. These trucks ae known for rusting out fuel lines and brake lines, even on trucks not in heavy salt areas so deff pay attention to that, otherwise I like this bodystyle, not a whole lot of problems and fairly easy to work on

Im not sure of the market in your area but 9000 for that year truck and style with that kind of mileage seems pretty high to me. Market prices certainly do change from area to area but around my way i could get a 01+ HD model with 150k on less for that kind of money. Also see if transmission has been touched or rebuilt. at 190k on a 4l80e transmission I would consider yourself on borrowed time. usually they make it around 200k before needing to be rebuilt, ive seen some make it to 250k but those are usually trucks with a lot of non-towing and/or highway miles on them. just food for thought, truck does look very clean though from the pictures.

6. johnnywaz

johnnywaz Senior Member

Your right about the cast iron heads for those couple years you are absolutely spot on. The ones i see the broken studs on are 100% the aluminum head models. Thats the number one reason in never owned 6.0 liter trucks. Ive always had bigblocks, diesels and a few pre 1999, 350 small blocks. I second the 4l80e advice. I had 1 that didn't even make 30,000 heavy towing. Luckily it was as a lease.

7. ChevyHD4X4

ChevyHD4X4 Senior Member

Thanks for all the info!! I will take a bright flash light. Also will be taking to my local mechanic. And Thanks!

8. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

I love the 4l80e trans and I would consider it solid for its application but I do know it does not like having consistent heavy loads behind it or an excessive amount of weight on it. A local forklift mechanic company just tore one up with 52,xxx miles on it but it has had 10,xxx lbs on it from day one in ther service truck. Once you go above 10,0000 lbs i really wish GM would have used the allison trans even in gas applications. These trucks can haul 8000 lbs no problem and while not as easy as a diesel would do it it deff works, but the trans just chokes after some miles are on it.at 190,xxx miles if that trans hasnt been rebuilt id say your looking at a truck that wasnt worked really hard at least but regardless the trans is probablly just worn out and in need of a rebuild.

IF the previous owner doesnt have any info or paperwork on the trans check near the bellhousing area. these have 1 piece bellhousings so cant pull an inspection cover but there is a small maybe 1.5 inch hole in the bottom of the bellhousing with a removeable cover. with a flashlight should be able to see if the converter is factory or if it is painted which is likely the sign of a rebuilt or new converter and that usually means the transmission has been rebuilt or at least pulled and checked.

9. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

ignore that, im thinking 4l60e, not 4l80e. these trans do have a cast aluminum inspection cover. they are 13 or 15 mm bolts. loosen them up and youll be able to see if the converter has ben replaced or not.

10. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

The guys got you straight on the frame and mechanical. Does your state have a annual inspection. You should no what the truck may need for reconditioning. You have to put rotors pads, ball joints any front end safety issues, emergency brake cables you could be looking at another $1500.00 plus.

Its a well taken care of truck by the pics. If this is a dealer or private I would want to pay $5500.00 to $6000.00 just in case that tranny gives you trouble.
    We are buying 2006 f350 for $7000.00 reg cab xlt loaded up pretty good with 5.4. with plow not V 9ft fisher.

We all no the GM's bring $1500.00 more wholesale or retail. Do you own the plow or do you have to purchase one. Before you make a decision check the municipality, School districts auctions. You should be able to buy one set up and ready to plow. For the money your talking. Service lights and all.

11. joshg

joshg Senior Member
    from VT

Mine has had issues with pitman, brake lines (think they may all have been changed now), rear diff cover rust through, and exhaust manifold. All in all pretty good though for me given the age, use and location in New England.

12. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

Did you end up buying it? I had that same truck, same year.

Manafold bolt problems on both sides of engine. Whoever tried to fix it the first time compounded the problem as they drilled at a incorrect angle with the replacement bolts. This broke the water jacket and resulted in a very tiny coolant leak that grew worse overtime. I don't fault the truck but bad mechanic work for that.

Other than that it was a great truck.