1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on the western MVP PLOW

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bigc1301, Nov 12, 2010.

1. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

I am looking at plows. What is everyones thoughts of the mvp plow? Pros and cons? I had a myers staright blade now looking for a Vee plow. Just weighingmy opinons

2. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

Also if anyone has pics of it on a 2009 or 2010 ford f-250

3. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

I havn't had a chance to use mine yet, I just put it together a few weeks ago. I have the snow plow prep package on my truck and it squats half an inch so I was really pleased about that.

199 - Copy.JPG

194.JPG

201 - Copy.JPG

4. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

it's an 06... but close enough... i love it quite possibly the best plow on the market...plow + wings = moves some serious snow!!!

019.jpg

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Hmm........

6. NorthernSvc's

the thing that sold me over the boss is that it has a trip edge, versus boss's trip moldboard...
    so in laymans terms if your boss is in V it doesn't trip.... hello dashboard?
    im also a big fan of the chain lift vs ram... plow weighs enough i don't need down pressure, and i like it if something happens i can always short chain..

7. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

All misconceptions of the Boss. The Boss will trip in V, there is video evidence of it. There is no down pressure to the Boss, the direct lift just gives faster response times and eliminates transport bounce. If something, (very rarely) happens to the lift cylinder, you can just take a ratchet strap to the plow. It's as simple as short chaining.

8. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

I'm waiting for it like you don't even know. :D

9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Those are actually misconceptions of Westerns.

10. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

imo Western builds a great plow with lots of value. It comes with locking cylinders and is still cheaper than boss.

11. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Trip edge > Full trip moldboard

(And it's not even close)

12. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

What size tornado?

13. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns Junior Member

That truck looks good! Don't forget the Ford anti gel and performance improver for the fuel...4 oz per 24 gallons

14. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Boss and western are great plows....now dont forget you have to buy ugly curb guards for the western...and its a 4 piece cutting edge..
    And dont even try to run a mvp with a truck set up for a straight blade....3plug vs 2 plug system...with a boss just swap controllers and off you go...
    The arguements could go on and on

15. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Oh no they ain't. I just came from a Western and have a couple of buddies who still own them, and what I said is absolutely true.

16. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Oh yes they is. Lol.

Sounds like you and your boys need to adjust some chain slack b/c obviously its not on the stops with the blade up. I have Boss plows too, and Blizzard. Direct lift does not mean superior plow. That's a matter of opinion. Hey, I like Boss plows, but if I recall correctly, the OP's question had nothing to do with why everybody thinks they're personal choice of plow is better than Western, he simply asked Western owners how they like their MVP's. And the answer......they're awesome plows.

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

No question the travel bounce has been resolved, as long as you lift the blade all the way up. However, if you like/need to travel with the blade down, stay away from the frost heaves.

As for the delay, it can be managed on a chain lift to some degree. First thing to do is remove the pull down spring/cable assembly. As you approach the end of the run, just tap the up button to take up the slack.

18. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Ya the delay thing I really dont get anyhow. When I'm pushing into piles the plow lifts itself. All I do with the up button is take the slack out of the chain and its in the air when I back up.

All these little pros and cons really don't matter to me. They each have them. I could care less which plow or truck I hop in when I head out. Different plows of mine suit different lots of mine better. I'll be damned if I let some minor "inconvenience" slow me down when I'm hustling. There's no major issue that would ever stop me from buying a Western.

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The delay is a bigger issue when you are trying to push the snow out on the lawn to leave room. Early December that sod peels up like a banana. Done it several times :realmad:

20. NorthernSvc's

smallest one, 1.5 i beleive... it's awesome i love the fact that i can load and unload it myself wesport... without heavy equipment!!