1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on the 4 stroke Toro's

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PowersTree, Mar 1, 2013.

1. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Now that the newer four stroke Toro blowers have been out a few years, what is your guys take on them?

Little background on me. I run a sidewalk crew that sub contracts commercial/industrial sites. We run a set of paddles off every two or three storms, we depend on our single stage blowers.

I have 4, three year old 210r blowers, that have all been giving me fits this year. They all keep having carb issues that lead to the blowers flooding out. I've pulled the carbs off and cleaned them all, only to have the issues reappear two or three storms later.

How are the four strokes treating you guys? Are they more reliable than the two strokes, and how do they do power wise? Weight isn't really a concern for me, as I pull a trailer to carry the blowers, so we aren't picking them up. Bed of the truck is for a pallet of ice melter.

2. MagnumV8

MagnumV8 Junior Member

I just bought 2 of the 621 QZE's and 1 418 ZE this past December. We have had a really light winter, but so far they have worked great. They start right up and throw the snow as good as any blower I have ever used. It is too early to gauge paddle wear.

3. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Just to clarify, I'm not too worried about the paddle life, as much as I am the reliability of the engines.

My reference to paddle wear was just to show how much we use them, which is quite a bit. We snowblow enough sidewalks to use a pallet of de icer everytime out.

4. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Spend the extra dough and get a Honda HS520. Toro makes a fine product though. But the reliability of the honda small engines is second to none. I have HS520's and they are the cats ass.

5. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

I have eyeballed the Honda's and they are a thought. The reputation of the Honda engine is second to none.

6. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

If your not allready using an additive in your gas for the snowblowers start using it faithfully, and use it all year long in everything. This gas with the ethanol in it eats the carbs apart. There are a bunch of different brands on the market. I use and recomend either Sta-bil (marine grade) or Star-tron. For snowblowers I lean more towards the marine sta-bil.
    I do small engine repair, and I'm seeing more and more carb problems due to the gas. And as they increase the ethanol mixture it's gonna get worse.

7. We only run mixed fuel in everything for winter runs great and starts on first pull every time

8. TheHammer

TheHammer Junior Member

I really like the Honda HS520A. I like the fact that if you rock it forward a bit and allow the rubber augers to contact the ground it will semi self propel forward. It cleans the wet heavy stuff great and moves 55 tons per hour. That is the same tons per hour as the Honda 24" 2 stage HS724TA. Can't go wrong with the Honda engine.

9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I just picked up a Honda, I was able to do a side by side at the dealer and felt the Honda did a better job. I ran them in about 7-8" of sun baked snow with layer of slush about 1.5-2" under it. The Honda has a metal shoot vs a plastic, paddles on the Honda are supported in 2 places vs 1 place on the Toro, the Honda's paddles are about 1/8" thicker and the paddles have a tighter radius or curl which should help lift the snow. Plus the motor was a huge selling point. Cost wise the Honda was about $50.00 more, my dealer is selling all their blowers at cost (so they say) and I paid $550.00 out the door, MSRP is $729.00.
    I've only used it once and very happy after running it for about 4hrs.

10. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I have had a Honda for over 6 years and 6 sets of paddles one a year never had any other issues except one guy broke a pull start but no carb or engine problems. My guys use them more than my two stages

11. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Are you saying you run mix in your 4-stroke engines? or that you swear by the two strokes?

I've had good luck for the most part up until this year with the two strokes that I have. They always fired up in two pulls, and ran great.

I have started using Stabil marine grade in all gas for small engines. Started doing that last fall.

12. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

I got a 4 stroke toro this year and so far so good it was run hard and worked great when we got the 3' of snow.

13. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Yup, you got it at cost...

14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I really had no reason to doubt my dealer, I've been a customer for about 12yrs but I've been told the same by others and found I've been fed a line of crap.

15. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

You need to find some non-ethanol fuel and run nothing but that. Trust me, you'll be glad you switched over after you start having fewer problems.

16. Yes we use mix in the 4 strokes all winter opti2 or amsoil. Never had a problem or a carb issue at all

17. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

VP Race Fuel has a 94 octane 50:1 non ethanol fuel, I use it in all my 2stroke engines and it's great. You do pay a premium for it but I think it's worth the money because of the benefits. http://www.vp-sef.com/index.php/products

18. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Have you priced the fuel with no ethanol ? If so what is it in your area, I'd really like to know.

I can buy it here. Are you sitting down. It's priced at about $12.00 A GALLON.
    I can go to the local municipal airport and get jet fuel for about $8.

Thats why I recomend the sta-bil, the gas without ethanol just isn't cost efective, especially when you consider all it is, is regular unleaded gasoline. The same stuff that 2 years ago everyone screamed about paying $2.00 a gallon for.

19. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

You need to find some non-ethanol fuel and run nothing but that. Trust me, you'll be glad you switched over after you start having fewer problems.

20. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Where do you get it and how much is it?