1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on sealcoated lot

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sven1277, Mar 1, 2012.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

This is our second year maintaining a large apt complex. It is set up as one main loop with 11 cul-de-sacs off it. Each unit has a short 1 car length drive and equally short front walk. This past summer, they sealcoated the entire property. Last year, I studded the tracks on my ss. Couldn't do that this year. I have gone out to check for icy conditions after rain on 2 separate occasions this year. The only property that needed deicing was this one. I don't like sealcoating pavement for winter maintenance purposes at all.
  2. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

What's the question exactly? :confused:
  3. salopez

salopez Senior Member

it is surprising that the sealcoated lot had more ice than the others. usually the darker black (due to sealer) provides more radiational heating reducing ice.

other than that there shouldnt be a difference. plow and salt as normal. if the complex allowed for the propper drying time before traffic all should be good.
  4. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure what the question is. Did you have to deice it because it was slippery while wet or did it have actual ice across it. Sealer will make aspalt melt snow and ice more quickly than un sealead asphalt. If it was just wet and slippery it is because the contracter did not use a good sand # to gallon ratio ( if they used any at all) which is industry standards on multi residential or commercial property.
  5. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

What I noticed was that the sealcoat fills the pores in the asphalt. It rained during the day then temps dropped below freezing that evening. None of my non sealcoated properties were slippery, but the really smooth seal coated surface was slippery from ice because the water stayed on top of the surface. I didn't really have a question with the first post, just some observations.
  6. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

It was smooth and slippery because there was no sand in The sealer...
  7. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Old, cracked pavement is by far the best to keep ice free!
    I see the same problem on new pavement, never seems to dry up as quickly and
    the oil in the asphalt keeps everything slick for a couple days longer over old or unsealed asphalt.
  8. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I had no idea that sand was an ingredient in the sealer.
  9. SSS Inc.

SSS Inc. PlowSite Fanatic

Depending on the property we add anywhere from 3-5 pounds per gallon. You can really tell the difference when no sand is added at all. The sand does very little however if ice has actually formed. Doesn't take much ice to cover the small sand pieces. The sand does play a big roll when the pavement is just wet.
  10. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I have one 7 acre lot that is seal coated and I notice the same thing. Freezes before any other lot, dries off slower than any other lot, and when it ices, the ice is much worse than even the lot I do next door to it which isn't seal coated.

Just keep on it, take ground surface temp readings, and account for it next bidding season.