1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on plowing with an Isuzu or cab over type truck

Discussion in 'Import and Other Trucks (Light Duty)' started by LapeerLandscape, Feb 11, 2016.

1. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I am looking for input on plowing with a cab over type truck, good or bad. We are thinking of buying an Isuzu NPR cab over type truck. It has a flat bed on it and we are thinking of making a removable beaver tail with ramp and using it for lawn care. In the winter we can take the beaver tail off put a salt spreader on it and have a plow mount on it. I think it would make a great plow truck and salt truck, they turn on a dime. We already plow with a couple 2wd small dumps so thats not a problem you just need weight in the back.
  2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I've been watching for a good deal on one for a salt truck............or another box truck.
  3. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Not only do they turn on a dime, but I would think visibility would be awesome as well. My two dislikes would be, if you got into an accident, especially in the summer when there's no plow on the truck, you have ZERO protection. And second is they're not built by anyone that I would even think about owning. After 20 yrs of working on cars for a living, including this exact truck for one of our commercial accounts, you couldn't GIVE me an Isuzu.
  4. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

We run all cab overs in the summer for our construction crews and 3 in the winter, 2 with plows, 2 with salters. They are great for plowing with and would choose it over a standard 3 ton gmc or ford anyway. They are a dream to plow with and as long as you keep some weight in the back 2 wd is no issue.

We have an Isuzu as our salt truck and it's pretty decent, needs an upgraded alternator and batteries of your going with electric salter as they are stock very small.

Got a new hino 195 last year and that thing is a pleasure to drive. The biggest complaint with all our trucks is ride quality but the new hino's are quite smooth.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  5. LapeerLandscape

Thanks for the input and video. I have heard about the ride, might have to get an air ride seat.
  6. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Who did you have make the plow harness? Boss doesn't make one do they?
  7. redclifford

redclifford Senior Member
    from Niagara

I purchased a new 195 hino this past summer, we use it as a salt truck but I'm interested in putting a plow on it. It turns on a dime,visibility is great, and handles itself good in the snow.

X2 what Chad said, was the mount custom made?
  8. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

To be honest I am not completely sure, delta truck did the install. I think it was fairly stock or they didn't charge very much to customize it.
  9. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

10. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

My cousin has a Fuso with a 9' plow and a 9' wing. He said it works really well. I'll try to get a picture of it.
  11. LapeerLandscape

That would be great.
  12. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I had a Fuso years back was great I had a 9 foot western and a 2 yard air flow never had an issue never got stuck
    One issue I had was my fault fuel froze I didn't use addivates one I started we were good to go
  13. redclifford

redclifford Senior Member
    from Niagara

Are you able to take a picture of the truck w plow on it. I'm guessing with a little weight in the back and its pretty good in 2wd
  14. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

lots of people plow with fusos most are four by four though however you can get it done with a good driver, good tires and some weight in the back.
    this guy has good videos