1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Leasing a New Truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LakeCountySnow, Feb 28, 2015.

1. LakeCountySnow

LakeCountySnow Junior Member

So for years we have owned our trucks, have 3 Trucks, a 92 k2500 with old cable Western, Meyer Spreader. 03 Trailblazer W/ Snowdogg plow, 2013 2500 GMC Crew MVP3. Well my wife has been in the 2013 for 3 years with no issues but... this month seems to think its a bumper car, hit the garage pulling in( without the plow) Skined our house, (not too much damage, the MVP3 was ok) and Last sunday backed into a car in a Lot. bent the left rear bumper but the bed is OK! But the guy she hit was a a$$hole and really shouldnt have stopped and parked 15 ft behind her as she was stacking snow. Anyway, my question is that, I care so much for my equipment, and seem like everything that we have cant stay nice forever, so rather than replace the 92 with a New truck that i own how about leasing one. A 2500 or 3500 Chevy reg cab, long bed. for a salt truck. I can put a new plow on it( prob wideout), drop in a V box and turn it in in 2-3 years, and just switch the plow stuff. I feel like Im wasting time and $$$ buying a truck, Paying for, mudflaps, weathertech floor mats, window visors, linex bedliner, undercoating and paints sealer crap. And clay baring my truck every several months, "which takes 7 hours to detail", then in a couple years having a rusted up truck that makes me sick to my stomach everytime it gets scratched, or i see a dent? am I crazy to think this? Am i the only one who feels taking out a loan on a truck for 72months and after paying 45k on a truck its worth 20k???
  2. procut

procut Senior Member

I would love to lease a fleet of 3 or 4 new 2500HDs but the cost just isn't where it would be smart. 3/4 tons don't lease out that well. I've looked into it before and even with the GM employee discount I think it was close to $600 a month. This was for a regular cab work truck gas v8. Not to mention we beat them up pretty bad so I'd be dinged at turn in time.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Pickup trucks not a good idea. Bigger trucks maybe.
  4. cjd173

cjd173 Junior Member

I would look into a seasonal rental from a major rental company. I know hertz for one rents 3/4 ton pickups with plows and spreaders. I never priced it myself, but it could be better than paying a lease all year round.
  5. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I buy southern "Rust Free" older trucks. They have some parking lot dents and so on but who cares. The doors and fenders are not flapping in the wind from rust. Run them until they are dead. This will not be for everyone but works for me. New just seems like a waste of money. Rent or Lease and you are filling the banks pockets.
  6. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Leasing a car, fine. Get it, drive it, give it back. Leasing a work truck, then turning around and spending money to have name and logo installed, plow installed, lights installed and everything else you do to a truck to make it work, then leaving everything on but the plow when you get rid of it, sounds like a huge re-occurring expense to me. They aren't going to want to take a truck back with holes drilled in it everywhere where you had stuff mounted, and all that damage that drives you nuts, will cost you BIG when you try to turn it back in. Sounds way more expensive to me.
  7. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Also if you lease a vehicle and beat it up. You will have to pay for repairs that are not considered normal over the life of the lease.
  8. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Better off to buy a leftover at 0% and install a custom heavy duty bumper.
  9. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

What he said ^^^. Don't think that automakers lease their equipment to lose money. They know very well what guys put their trucks through, especially 2500's. You would pay dearly for the right to abuse their truck for all of the reasons you mentioned.
  10. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

If you lease be prepared to pay for every scratch and dent at the end of the lease. Either way your paying for it, only with a lease your getting ripped off in the process.
  11. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing Senior Member
    from SE PA

keep the 92, fix it up if it needs some love. Shouldn't be too much $ to refurbish it to make it a decent plowing truck. Get rid of the trailblazer and replace it with another 10 year old-ish 2500. There's nothing wrong with older trucks, cheaper, easy to repair, you can beat the hell out of them and not care about body damage so much, I'd love to have an old K20 or K30, but I can only drive one truck at a time....I plow with my 04 2500HD and love it, only things I replaced were brake lines, one wheel bearing, water pump, exhaust and an alternator. This Spring it's getting overhauled with everything I find that needs replaced.
  12. 04trd

04trd Senior Member

And I know most car dealers won't lease a truck if your going to put a plow on it. I've looked into it
  13. exclusive

exclusive Member

Here in jersey I know you can't lease a chevy or a ford bigger then a 1500 you might with dodge but if you can I believe the payment is almost like a finance payment