1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on buying 08 F450 Pick Up Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bartdude, Oct 30, 2011.

1. bartdude

bartdude Member
    from Chicago

Hear many problems but then again other motors have problems too. Want to see thoughts on the 6.4L motor?
  2. Marek

Marek Senior Member

Myguy at ford replaced 10 6.4s last month alone. He said the 6.4 has become a worse motor then the 6.0
  3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I always heard the 6.4 was a fairly decent motor.... whats blowing up on all of them?
  4. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

have 3 of them and all run great. but they due love their diesel f350 pick up get 10-12 around town and 13-14 highway 8-10 towing 350 and 550 dump both get 7-9 both are always loaded an towing
  5. A&LSiteService

A&LSiteService Senior Member

I have a 2009 F550 with a 6.4 I love the truck, plenty of power but as stated before it loves diesel. On average I get 7mpg. I hope this helps.
  6. bartdude

bartdude Member
    from Chicago

I was also curious on the blowing up part too? Any expierences on that?
  7. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

I call bs on the replacements.. havent heard anything bad on the 6.4 other than fuel consumption. get a spartan tune and and a dpf delete good to go
  8. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

There's no way thats correct! The 6.4l and the 6.0l are great motors!!
  9. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

yeah the 6.4 is a great engine...the only problem is fuel consumption...i absolutely love mine and the fuel consumption is my only complaint, and on the average i get 12 mixed hand calculated so i'm not complaining TOO much...fun truck to drive...only other issue with the truck itself is if u have any major engine problems they have to take the entire cab off to work on it...

actually, now that i think about it, my power steering fluid was pretty low one time, which actually another guy here in town said the same thing...that's about it tho

as stated, dpf delete and spartan tune would be a great upgrade for fuel economy...and power
  10. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

and apparently the 6.0's got a lot better in 05 and 06, so not all are sh!t...they definitely had their issues tho