1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on bidding this job

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by turbo38sfi, Nov 11, 2009.

1. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Got a few smaller lots, this is my first larger one. By no means is it a Home Depot but it's a good size. Thinking about an hour to 90 minutes with an 8100 Blizzard.

What would you guys quote on this for a seasonal rate with sanding after clean up at $60/yrd in material cost. There are 4 entrances/stairways that must be shoveled also.

I'm thinking about $6000 Figure on 15 storms a year is what we have averaged the last few seasons.

Not sure if I should do this on a seasonal or a per push/by inch type quote. Pointers?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Get Timmy for this one he can plow in circles because this place would be perfect for him.
  3. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Well that doesn't help me quote it! In fact I was looking fwd to not having to use reverse much.
  4. grandview

Well which way does the wind blow? Because it could mound up on the back side. What are the hours of operations ? Price does seem a little low.
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I think I would go for $3K, beach included.
  6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I don't know what you should charge to clear the lot and salt/sand but whoever is taking care of the lawn needs to be fired!
  7. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

No idea on wind direction. Standard M-F 8-5PM business hours.

If quoted for a seasonal rate..do you cap it at xx amount of storms for $yyyy and then each storm after that is so much?
  8. grandview

I don't. What ever snow falls I'll push it with no caps.
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's a whole separate question. If you can get away with it, good for you. To me. seasonal price should be just that. Five storms or fifty, same price. That's why you want to try and get a multiyear deal. You can trim the price down some too.....

Looks like there is plenty of parking spaces to put the snow. But if space is a premium you might try to have loader time - if needed - above and beyond your price.
  10. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Yea, there so much open space I doubt there would be a need for a loader there. I learned though, as I've been plowing more to not beat the truck as bad and stack so high...this gives you a chance to make bigger piles and increase profits by getting a loader in there sometimes.

The only suck part of this place is the few small walkways. Will take me as long to clear the 4 walks as it does for the whole lot plowing almost.

So you're saying it's a little low..where would you bid this if you were asked?
  11. grandview

I'd go 8k ,but that's me. I'm a gambler.
  12. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

IMO seasonal has no caps. Seasonal is offered to ensure the job is done for the customer for a guaranteed price so they can budget themselves with no surprises.

If your average is 15 and you submit the price of $yyyy for the season here is how it pans out for you.

15 events G/L per event 0%.
    14 events G/L per event +7.14%
    16 events G/L per event -6.15%
    extreme case scenarios
    10 events G/L per event +50%
    20 events G/L per event -25%

At the end of the season you still have made (sorry,on edit) grossed $yyyy.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  13. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

That's pretty much how I do it..figure out what I want per storm and multiply by # of storms.

What's G/L ?? and what % are you adding...% of money??
  14. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Say for example you expect $100.00/ push

15 pushes = $100.00/push
    14 pushes = $107.14/push
    10 pushes = $150.00/push

16 pushes = $93.75/push
    20 pushes = $75.00/push

It is just to illustrate how you are always earning something on seasonal.
    Some people look at as if they are working for free if they plow one or two times more than their average. Even if you get twice (30) your expected events for the year you still get $50.00 a push and no one can call you a lowballer for working you tail off.