1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Back Plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DoTheSnowDance, Jan 7, 2010.

1. DoTheSnowDance

DoTheSnowDance Junior Member

Anyone ever have any experiences (Good or Bad) with a back plow?

[​IMG]

2. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Do a search on 'Ebling' and read up. The future of snow removal is going to be centered around a set up like the Ebling or the Sno Kontrol (Swing Wing).

The SnowMan you have pictured will be more geared towards residential, but this is only my opinion.

3. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

we have a snowman pullplow sitting in our yard, hasnt been on the truck in two years, they have their applications, no doubt, condos where you would be doing a ton of backdragging, especially, also nice for loading docks that are really drifted in, since they lift quite high.

the amount of downpressure is amazing, a guy (may have been me) was doing a complex with deep ditches, a couple years back, backed off the edge of the driveway, into the ditch, lowered the rear plow and it leveled out the truck and he was able to drive right out (he was really really amazed by this)

4. M.S.P.M.

M.S.P.M. Senior Member

I have never used them but a friend of mine uses them on his trucks and he can do a residential drive in almost half the time as it takes to do with just a regular plow.

5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

That's a pretty "BOLD" statement!:help:

6. AURALAND

AURALAND Junior Member

I bought a snowman this fall and it is awesome for residentials. It almost cuts your time in half. I bought the commercial one with extension wings. Its spreader compatible and really to this point have not had any issues.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  7. AURALAND

AURALAND Junior Member

Curious, does ebling make a spreader comp plow.

8. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=87897

Back plows are a good investment you will definately save a lot of time with one. We just bought one for my subs truck this year. He loves it. Nice having at least one in the fleet.

9. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Im not bashing just dont see how its faster? If the streets are 2 lanes wide and you need to stack the snow at the corners of the driveway it would take twice as long to turn around. I guess I am only looking at the residential application. Help me understand because if it really is faster I want one. Faster = moooney

10. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

11. M.S.P.M.

M.S.P.M. Senior Member

Using it in a residential application you would just back into the driveway drop both blades and pull forward and your done no pulling in and back blading to clean in front of the garage. For turning it only sticks out another 2 ft so it really is not that much of a difference.

12. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yes that is a bad side , turning around

however, with the rear plows, you only have to make one single pass on the driveway, on a 2 car 2-3 passes MAX, no matter how long the drive way is, or howmuch snow as fallen (for the most part) ... with the front plow only , you have to back drag, normally you can only take so mush snow at a time, so multiple passes, and it doesnt even do a good job.

drives that are longer saves even more time.... i know people that pull in, back drag, pull out , turn around , back in, drop the blade and plow out... or they try to back drag the whole thing , and it takes 5 times more passes...

rear plow, drop them both and your done

13. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

You're not a stupid person,WI Pensfan, there is just something about you that likes to argue. That does'nt bother me, in fact it's pretty cool. You probably should have been an attorney.

It's only my opinion, but I base it on 2 facts

It's easier to pull a load than it is to push it. If it's easier on the vehicle, then more weight can be moved. Up to 16 feet of blade can be filled.

And a 16 foot wide snowplow is more valuable to a commercial contractor than one that is only 9 feet wide. Time is money.

You cannot argue common sense. Unless you get paid by the hour, then the Ebling is detrimental.

So let's argue about hockey.

14. big acres

big acres Senior Member

August Charles Fruehauf (1868–1930), an American blacksmith and carriage builder who invented the tractor-trailer, a truck with the cab and engine separate from the main body of the truck. Fruehauf developed the tractor-trailer after, in 1914, a local lumber merchant asked him to build him a “thing to hitch to my Model T Ford that will take my boat to the lake". The trailer was so successful that the merchant had Fruehauf build similar haulers for his lumber, which Fruehauf came to call "semi-trailers." In 1918, Fruehauf incorporated his semi-trailer manufacturing company forming the Fruehauf Trailer Company. With the subsequent growth in automotive technology and expansion of the highway system, semi-trailers would become the dominant means of moving goods over long distances. "A horse can pull more than he can carry" was the key sales pitch for the trailer.

15. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I have a parking lot where I believe an Ebling back blade would cut my time in half, or more. Lots of islands and goofy curbed in parking spaces where I waste a lot of time. Just have to save up a little more coin. Gotta spend money to make money.

16. WIPensFan

I respect your opinion and the fact that you defended it. Sometimes an argument is good for learning and hearing a point of view that is not your own, not real enjoyable though.:( I'm always up for the hockey argument though!:drinkup:

17. WIPensFan

Skid loader now! Do it!! Pull the trigger!!!payup

18. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

Can anyone give me a price on one of the ebling 16ft blades?

19. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

I dont have one on the truck but do have one on the tractor and it is a real handy rig instead of backdraggin your brains out with the plow . I use a boxblade and it is heavy and scapes right down and does an awesome job for us...............

20. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I have a Daniels back plow and really like it. I don't use it all the time and I am not looking to put one on every truck in the fleet but I do like the one on my truck, especially for residentials. And it only sticks out the back about 20" or so.