1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on a Western Pro Flo 2 Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by blackjack219, Sep 10, 2009.

1. blackjack219

blackjack219 Member

anyone who has used one, what's your thoughts

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Great spreader. They will spread bulk salt well. It sits tall on the truck so it is hard to see around. A little to heavy to put on the truck by yourself.

I would recommend it.

3. studebaker48

studebaker48 Member

Great Spreader to use very few problems with this.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It's basically the business end of a Tornado/PolyCaster, complete with a short conveyor belt. If you want to spread sand, you need a two stage unit like this one.

I have used my PolyCaster for two full seasons. Very reliable unit.

5. brookline

brookline Senior Member

What limits would you put on using a tailgate speader before moving up to a v box

6. studebaker48

studebaker48 Member

Bagged salt is more expensive than bulk
    I think all of us started out usung bags though. When you use a tailegate you get in and out of the truck so that is time lost.

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Depends what shape you are in. Loading bags into the back of the truck and then into the spreader can take it's toll. The salter above will spread bulk so even if you use a loader to put it in the box you still need to shovel it into the salter. I would say anything over 3 tons would require a V box.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you have to fill the tailgate spreader more than twice per storm, get a V-box. I was going to buy the SpeedCaster 2. My dealer talked me into the PolyCaster for a few hundred bucks more. One of the best moves I ever made.