1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on a Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by HD61CUIN, Feb 18, 2002.

1. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

The wife got me thinking about a Suburban, what is the general consensus here on them. I am not a Chevy nut but do they have solid axles in the front? If so what year, I think that I have to look towards an EXCURSION to get the suspension needed. If not please educate me.
    Thanks much chevy fellas

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

The old "square" body style was used on Suburbans from '73 right up until about '89 or '90 I believe (pickups went "jellybean" after '87 but the Blazer/Suburban and C&C trucks held on for a couple more years) any of those ones will have the solid front axle. Not until the "jellybean" styling came out did the IFS front ends go under the 4x4's, I'll admit to not knowing much about those style trucks.

3. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

i like the looks of the excursion but prefer the suburbans for some reason, even though im a ford fan

4. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

3/4 ton Sub 4x4 new body style

You can order the plow prep package on it just like the chevy pick-up. There are at least 3 of them running around here ( 2000-2001) that I've seen. The 1 I see the most a lady is driving it with the plow on. :) Brent

5. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

solid front axle

Blazers and Suburbans had solid front axles until 91 when the body style changed from then the "New Style" blazers and suburbans kept a solid front axle until maybe 93-94? Whenever it was that the Z71 and IFS stuff came out. In my opinion 91-95 were the best suburbans and you can make them meet any towing needs especially just with the addition of a rear sway bar. I always have been and am impressed with the way suburbans do their job and take thier abuse.

6. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

I think that I am looking for something in that 91-94 range, the price would be good and the miles won't be too bad. The Suburban is based on the Chevy Silverado 1500. So that means that I would have to have a light plow to keep the front end from sitting on the ground. So 91-94 had solid front axles or no IFS, I am not really looking for IFS. The wife wanted something along the lines of our explorer, but was thinking of me when she said Suburban, so that I could use a plow.

7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Just the Facts!

Here is the scoop on Suburbans!

Starting with pre 1973, I am not sure about all the specifics, but I dont think you are looking at this year range anyway.

Then there are the 1973 to 1991 models that had a solid front axle in the 4x4's. They were available in 1/2 and 3/4 ton (C/K-10 and C/K-20) and depending on the year, dictated what front axle you got. Engines ranged from 305 to 454 V-8's in gas, and starting in 1982, the 6.2L diesel. They never needed an excuse to rust, and rust well they did!

Then there are the 1992 to 1999 models. They used the newer ('88-'98) C/K pickup sheetmetal and underpinnings. This included the IFS. They were available with 305 to 454 gas, and 6.2L deisel and 6.5L Turbo diesel in 1993+. The C/K 1500 series is based on the 1/2 Ton chassis and the C/K 2500 is based on the 3/4 Ton chassis and included the larger front ring and pinion axle assembly found in the pickups. These are ALL IFS trucks.

Now that brings us to the 2000- 200x models. They are a totally new design incorporating rear coil spring suspensions and IFS. They are also available in the 1500 and 2500 models with engines ranging from 5.3, 6.0, and 8.1 gas, and so far, none available with the new Duramax diesel. They are talking about adding the Duramax soon, but it will be "de-tuned" to allow the use of the 4L80E-HD instead of the Allison.

Hope this helps out a bit, as some of the posts above are somewhat inaccurate, and misleading.

I am a SUBURBAN FAN!!

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The 92-94 1500 Suburban will hold a full size 7.5 ft plow with no problems whatso ever.The 92-94 is IFS,The 1500 suburban is a built on a 3/4 ton LD truck at 7200 GVWR,,there are a few around here with plows on them,none of them sag 1/2 as much as an F250TTB,or a 1500 4x4 pickup.The Sub already had a lot of weight in the back,so the plow dont affect it much.2500 suburbans are better for plowing,but they arent necessary,the 1500 will work well.Excursions areo ut of the question on your budget,they are to new to get one that cheap.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2002
  9. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Thats what I was thinking, in regards to the Excursion. Too new to be a bargan. Well it is good to know that I have this vehicle to add to my lineup of vehicles to choose from. I like the possibility of plowing in the winter and towing my boat in the summer with plenty of room to add people and boating items.

Thanks to all who added responses