1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on a plow truck replacement for my 89 K% Blazer

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Dondo, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Dondo

Dondo Senior Member

What are your thoughts on a 1996 GMC Sierra 2 door Stepside Z71 for a plow truck. It has the 350/5.7. It would be used strictly as a plow truck only. I found a clean one locally and I'm looking to replace my 1989 K5 Blazer.

Does anyone know somebody who plows with one of these?

2. coke813

coke813 Member

I know about 47 guys around town that plow with a 89-98 model year GM half-ton truck. They work just fine if you have the right size plow and you only take on jobs you can handle.

3. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

The biggest difference you will notice is how well it carries the plow.
    K5 is solid front axle.
    The half ton is IFS.

4. Dondo

Dondo Senior Member

I've been plowing for about 15 years but it's always been in a K5 Blazer. The truck will only be used to plow snow. Will the solid vs independent front suspension really make that big of a deal the plow is a 7-1/2 pro plow that would go on the Sierra. I know I'll need extra ballast in the pick up but didn't think the suspension would make that much of a impact. I could always wait and look for another K5.

5. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Tons of GM 1/2 ton with 7.6 plows. Be a challenge to find a K5 around here.

6. Dondo

Dondo Senior Member

They are hard to find but there out there for not too much more than a used 1500 goes for. I have all summer to look but I found a clean 1996 z71 Sierra with low miles and it peaked my interest. Plus with a pickup a could salt too.

7. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

That truck will carry a 7 1/2 fine. Throw a set of timbrens in it. Ballast in the rear.

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

True be I reather have the K-5

9. Randall Ave

Ya but you ain't gonna find one anywhere round here. If you did, it would be a half a$$ restore. And for big bucks.

10. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Yup, me too. K-5, Bronco, or even a Ram Charger. Awesome plow vehicles with that short wheelbase.

11. Dondo

Dondo Senior Member

I agree on the K5 being the ultimate plow truck. There is a reason I've only had 3 plow trucks since I started and they were all K5's. A 1990 and two 1989's.
    My current one is still running strong it's just to the point every time I slam the door a few more rusty parts drop off. The rear fenders, and driver side rockers are shot and I only have two bolts still holding the driver seat in.

You can still find clean K5s if you don't mind dropping $12,000 or driving out west to pick it up.

The reason I was thinking pickup truck was because would be the ease of loading in the snowblower and maybe get a tailgate salter.

12. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

That pickup truck sounds perfect, maybe you could post some pictures on here and maybe some more information about the truck and plow and what kind of plowing you do and we can help you out.

13. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Ultimate plow truck? What for driveways? 12k for a K5? Whats next Tahoe. You looking for a toy or a workhorse. 12k you can be in a duramax or a powersmoke or at least 3/4 or 1ton gas. I hope your not thinking about paying 12k for the Z71 it's not worth a 1/4 of 12K. Do you intend to do commercial if you do buy a truck not a grocery getter. What are you going to spread with. I still say a K5 will be a challenge to find a good one for right money. Good Luck

14. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Op, If you got your heart set on a K5 there is plenty late 80's early 90
    s on Ebay. Went to sold section $1500.00 to 6k. The ones in the 12k range are collector grade. I'm sure nothing you would want to push snow with. You could buy a nice one today. With protection from ebay, Meaning title issues and defects not announced. A vehicle that size can be delivered on a car carrier for about $400.00 or less. Done this many times for personal family vehicle kids etc.

I did not check the Broncos and Ram chargers something comparable. Probably can be bought for less than the GM.

15. Dondo

Dondo Senior Member

I'm not sure if it will work but here is a link to the truck. It's at an auction I'm going to this weekend.

http://acclassiccars.com/inventory.php?item=2796

Would I be able to transfer the plow from my K5 to the pickup? It's 7-1/2" Proplow Ultramount Western?

16. Dondo

Dondo Senior Member

I'm from North Jersey... around here it's the ultimate for any type of plowing. In the 15 years I've pushed snow there has yet to be a storm my K5's couldn't push through. I only use them for plowing and they sit all summer long so I'm not looking for a toy by any means. I wouldn't pay $12K for anything I plow with since it would be hard to justify that on a truck that realistically gets used only during the storms so whats that equate to maybe it's driven 20 times a year. I could maybe go $9K for the right truck. I currently do 4 residential driveways, 5 small commercial lots, and one I would say is a medium sized commercial lot. Plus I sub for a buddy of mine at 2 of his large commercial lots. Right now I salt at the 5 small lots but spread bagged salt from a walk behind spreader. I would love to get a tailgate spreader but getting the bags out of the back of the K5 with the spreader on is almost impossible. That is one of the only reasons I was thinking outside of the K5 "Box".

17. coke813

coke813 Member

You could probly run that plow on that truck, but you will need a new push bar on the truck. Your old one won't fit.

Also you are going to be pushing the limit on the front axle weight. Definitely crank up the torsion bars, look into timbrens or some other help for the front end. And always keep the counterweight in the rear of the bed. If this will be exclusively for plowing and you don't abuse it, it should hold up fine. I wish I had that short of wheel base now, after going to a crew cab.

18. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I'm sure it did spark interest. That's a clean truck with super low miles. Being that it's at auction maybe you can buy it for $5500. to $6000. I'm squeezing for you maybe the age will scare everybody off and you buy for $3500.00 you never know at auction. Hopefully the step side won't make it more desirable to anybody. Thumbs Up

19. Dondo

Dondo Senior Member

I don't mind plowing with a collector grade... I would have considered my current truck as collector grade when I first got in in 2009. The problem is this one rusted out quicker than I thought it would. I truly think it has to do with all the re-treating spray they use around here... Even my Avalanche is starting to show some signs of rust...

I've checked out Ebay and the problem I'm seeing is that I am looking for a stock K5 and the ones that aren't restored beauties are either rusted worse than mine, off road trail trucks, or are lifted trucks that have been molested by the last three guys who owned it. I've never purchased anything besides parts from Ebay so I didn't know it would only be a couple hundred dollars to ship a truck. I don't really like to buy something sight unseen but everything I've seen local I don't really like. They say pictures are worth a thousand words but when it comes to used cars sometimes pictures only tell half the story. I was looking at one truck and the date stamp on the pictures was 12/15/1994. I'm pretty sure the truck didn't look like it did in the pictures that were 22 years old.

I think I'll follow the 1996 Sierra at the auction and for the right price I'll give it a try, if it goes for more than I'm approved to bid up to then I'll just see what I can find over the summer.

20. Randall Ave

That truck looks very good for it's age. The few auctions I've been to, problem is nobody likes to loose. Then things sell for more than they should. Good luck, hope ya get it.