1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

thoughts on a homemade plow mount for ram 2500

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hondarecon4435, Jan 13, 2011.

1. hondarecon4435

hondarecon4435 Senior Member

I am 18. i have been plowing with atv's for a few years now even though i have a more than adequate truck for the job 1996 ram 2500 cummins. it didn't have a very good transmission in it so i was afraid to put a plow on it. i have recently put a new trans in it and am considering the plow again.

now before you say just buy one materials will cost just as much hear me out. i have all the tools and skills needed to do the fabrication. i have lots of scrap metal lying around and will only have to buy a few small peices.

I will be building it for most likely a meyers plow which is a very simple mount so the design shouldn't be an issue. the reason i want to do this is i can pick up a plow blade for next to nothing drop a few hundred on a pump but i won't have another $400 for the mount and cant justify paying that for such a simple thing.

so any ideas or thought will help out and please don't tell me to just buy one that's not gonna happen so it won't help.also if you have picture of mounts for my truck please post them.
  2. snowfighter75

snowfighter75 Senior Member

I'd go for the fab! You got nothing to loss but your time! You'll save $$$$!! All the best and let us know how it turns out!! Happy Plowing!
  3. bechbru2

bechbru2 Junior Member
    from pa

there's a place in bernville pa not to far from you that sells alot of used mounts. i have bought a few from them they are usually half of new.
  4. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I have made 2 mounts for meyer plows, now I did have a mount for another vehicle that I used/cut up to make fit...

as long as you have everything straight and true, you will be better off moeny wise, and you can make it as strong as you want....
  5. hondarecon4435

hondarecon4435 Senior Member

good to hear of some other people doing it any pics of the ones you made?
  6. Sp3cialized

Sp3cialized Member
    from CT

I will definitely say go ahead and make it yourself..

I just got through about 16-20" of pretty ****** stuff with my 'homemade' frame restoration

I bought my truck for PENNIES and the main issue was the passengers side frame horn was all rotted out/bent. I cut it all out, put backer and filler plates in, and reconstructed the horn from about 4" behind the front upper control arm mount forward.

I used 1/8" plate and fabbed the whole thing, took nearly two days working outside on the ground because my uncles house is where I have 220v for the welder hookup.

There are no cracks, bends, or anything and a bunch of 'professionals' claimed I would never be able to plow with this truck. I saw so many guys with newer trucks than mine broken down, had to pull at least 10 guys with BIGGER BADDER trucks than mine out because they were doing stupid ****.
  7. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

The first one, no as that vehicle is no more, I used it for my current one.

I can try to take some pictures, but all it will show is the side braces as the rest is hidden by the bumper or is the factory frame. I just cut off all the mounting parts, I used the tube and place were the plow attached, figured that was the important part, got to keep that straight...

I will tyr to get some pictures today and post them...
  8. fallcreek

fallcreek Junior Member
    from TN

I have a meyers mount off a 01 dodge make you a great deal if you want it.
  9. bskiball

bskiball Member

I have made two plow mount myself and had fun doing it. One was for a meyers (1989 f-250) and the other a Western unimount (1996 Chevy). Never had any issues with either one. Go for it.