1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

thoughts on a 9' western on a f350

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jasonz, Dec 23, 2010.

1. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

I currently have an 8' unimount on my f350 diesel, my brother is looking for a plow for his 99 f250. He found a 9' unimount that is a good deal and has the mounts and wiring for his truck. I know the 9' is too heavy for him but I thought if we get a good deal on the 9' I could just use the 9' and he could use my 8'. Is the 9' pushing the limit for my truck.

Another thought we had was to try and find another 8' or 7'6" without the mounts ( there are a ton of them around here) and either keep the 9' as a back up or for light and fluffy snows, since the 9' has the mount controller and wiring he needs.

Thoughts?

2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

We put 8' 6" on half tons... I'd say a 9' would be ok on an F350

3. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i run a 8'6" on my 97 F350 with no problem, i dont think a 9' is that much heavier.

4. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

i mean my 8 seems kinda heavy compared to a 7'6" but its more of the weight of pushing that extra foot of snow

5. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

An 8' weighs 15 lbs. more than a 7'6". An 8'6" weighs 18 lbs. more than an 8'. 9' pros are no longer available, so there's no spec for them from Western anymore, but you can see the pattern... the 9' isn't that much heavier than the 8'6".

6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

you truck will handle the plow fine. you will love the extra clearing path on lots.

7. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

I run a 9ft on my F-250 and it has ZERO problems with it.

8. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Pushing wise, you will have absolutely no problem with the proper tires and ballast.

However, you will be over the FGAWR of the truck. If you do decide to run over with the 9 fter, at least make sure you have the 6k lbs. X code rated plow prep spring on your front axle.

9. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

why do people make such a big deal about 9fters on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks a fisher 8ft weights 717LBS
    a fisher 9ft weights 745LBS Is that 28Lbs really going to make that much difference? I fully agree be ready for the extra snow load pushing wise but that has nothing to do with the truck carrying the weight

10. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

well turns out the guy has like 8 plows from 7' all the way up to 10' so my brother probably gonna get an 8'. the guy wants $1950 for it with the mounts controller and wiring. They all looked to be in good shape, hopefully he has the hardware so I don'thave to piece it together.

11. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

if the price is right I may even pick up another blade for myself or split it with my brother so we have a back-up

12. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

You are right, pushing ability has nothing to do with carrying the blade. I run a 9' 2" myself, but I am not over the FGAWR of the truck.

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Unless you are pushing driveways there is no way I would use a 8' plow. You will be fine with a 9 and guys run much more then that. There is a guy on here running 8611LP on all his F350. I am running a 810 and 9'2" VXT on my GMC 2500.

When your finished plowing take the thing off.

14. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

A ten foot straight blade would be safe for that F-350 and the 9' would be ok for the F-250.

15. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

well he picked up an 8' it turned out to be the best deal, needs to be sand blasted and re-painted but the plow itself is solid, works great. The mount and harness were in good shape too, doubt we'll get on before the storm this weekend but at least I have a back-up plow now until we get it on his truck.

16. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I'd have got the 9' and done the swap regardless. Bigger is better. Being used to an 8' plow you'd sh!t if you swapped over to a 9. Not only with the width of a pass you'd make, but the time you save. And as for it handling it, I run an 8611 on my SRW F350.

17. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

9' wasnt in as good shape and he wanted more than my brother had budgeted. I wired it up for him last night, he gonna try and get the mount on before it starts snowing today.

18. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Time is money. Your brother should have adjusted his budget to allow for a better ROI.

19. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

My brother is 17

20. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Perfect age to start learning about Return On Investment, and engrave Time Is Money into his young brain.payup