1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on 2004 F250 Harley Davidson as a plow truck

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Chevy/GMC, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

OK I'm sure I'm going to get ripped from a few guys here, but here goes.
    I'm wondering what every-ones thoughts are on a 2004 Harley Davidson F-250 6.0 power stroke as a plow truck. I've always been a Chevy/GMC guy and I'm really considering going with a HD Diesel for my next truck. I've always liked the look of the F-250's from 99& up and especially the Harley Davidson trucks. I found one for sale and I'm really thinking hard about it becoming mine. Also what is every-ones thoughts on the 04's 6.0 power stroke. from what I've read and heard here they had some problems. What do I need to look for?
    I look forward to every-ones comets.

2. Deco

Deco Senior Member

hope it's 4X4

3. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

Oh yeah it's a Crew Cab HD F-250 power stroke.

4. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

And Yes It's a 4X4

5. Deco

Deco Senior Member

usually a 2400# skid of material on your back will keep her going . even half that should suffice . get er done

6. Richter415

Richter415 Junior Member

That would be plowing in style!

I'm not sure about plowing with it but they are a great truck. I have had two.
    One was an 04 orange and black with a V-10. That truck got an 8 inch lift and 37s. Most comfortable truck I've had

The second was the same truck withe the 6.0 and no lift but it had four buckets. You'll love the truck and interior.

7. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

Say what??? I'm not sure what your telling me ?? Are you say to put 2400lbs of material in the back so it will get traction? Why would it need that?

8. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Do it. I use my Excursion to plow with.. Nice and comfy

9. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

Yeah the interior is nice. I would put on my Boss7.5 Std poly on it to do the accounts that I have. I only have about 15 accounts, two little parking lots and the rest are just drive ways and side walks. I'm usually done in about 4hrs.
    How did you like the 6.0 did you have any problems with it?

10. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Boy, interesting post. You say you are a Chevy/GMC guy, and want a "HD diesel truck" and you are going to buy a 6.0L? Been there, done that. Best of luck.

Oh, by the way, Chevy/GMC trucks do come in a diesel version with an automatic transmission also.

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

An F250 is an F250 no mater what the exteior or interior package it will be a fine plow truck. Personally I'd stay away from a 6L. JMO

12. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Did you slip on ice and bump your head?:D

BTW-that would be a sweet plow truck, except for the 6L. :drinkup:

13. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

WOW !!! No kidding that's great!!!! Thank for the info!!!!Do they come in Orange& Black and with a heavy duty stout front end to be able to handle the extra 700+lbs I'm going to hang on it?

14. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

OK that's the info I'm looking for. What's up with the 6.0?? Is it just the 2004's ???

15. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

I wouldn't buy the 6.0 they had a lot of turbo problems. If you want a diesel get 7.3 or Gas v10 which is also an awesome engine

16. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

Are the people letting them "idle" for @ least 3 minutes & people don't say you don't need too....My dad had a Mack that had the original turbo from 1986 till he sold it in 2001 with 750,000 miles

17. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Not the same kind of turbo.

18. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Do a search on the 6.0- lots of problems come from modifying it. From what I've seen there isn't enough head studs in the design which causes more problems with more power. They also had a lot of turbo issues and fueling issue's. There are also guys with 200k on them with no problem at all. Also, a lot of people say that the 2005+ 6.0 is a stout unit, and the older 2003/2004 were the problem years.

19. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

Thank you for the info.

20. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

You still need to let the turbo cool so you don't burn up the bearings....All this "Hot Rod" drivers out there drive 75mph & just shut the engine off without waiting for the turbo to cool down