1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

thoughts from a novice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lqmustang, Dec 24, 2004.

1. lqmustang

lqmustang Member

This is my first season of snow 'plowing', and this past week has definitely been a learning experience. Up to this season I had done a few residentials via snowblower, but had been looking forward to using a plow for the first time. My first time out was this past Sunday night/Monday morning. We had about 2.5 inches of snow, and that was just perfect for a first time out, getting used to the plow and all. More or less followed the motto 'slow and steady wins the race', and experienced no equipment problems, and was done in about 3.5 hours. I've learned that I LOVE the drives that are a simple push off, and find it kind of a pain for those that I need to back drag, but all in all, was a productive and profitable learning experience.

Fast forward to Wednesday/Thursday.

I'm thinking, yay, more snow!! Time to play again. We got about 3 inches Wednesday evening, then it stopped and started sleeting and raining. I figure I'll just wait, and hit everyone starting about 3-4am so they are clear in time for work. Take a nap, get up, and head out to the ugliest, nastiest 4 inches of cement consistency slush I've ever seen. Oh, did I mention it's also still raining cats and dogs? I thought plowing was supposed to happen in SNOW, not RAIN!!! :angry: So I'm out, doing my thing, and realized that this crap must be one of the worst things to push. Did I do something that bad, why am I being punished!! lol Fortunately once again, no equipment problems, and despite taking a bit longer, made it thru once again.

I'll be looking forward to doing it all again, and hope that every house built from now on keeps the drive beside the garage. And no more plowing in a downpour please, that has got to be just about the worst.

2. Plow King

Plow King Senior Member

I hear ya, that storm was something else.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

You're just getting the lesson everyone gets. Plowing starts out being fun. Then nature says "You think this is fun, huh? Take this!!"[/QUOTE]

Right on Mick. I still enjoy plowing for about 8 hours at a time. But mother nature doesn't know that and she keeps piling it on. :rolleyes:

5. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Just wait till you get the 1" of rain, then a quick change to snow and get a foot, the temp drops to 15 degrees. All this before you can get the roads clear enough of snow to put any salt down, cars and pedestrians pack it, then as you are plowing the snow off the water underneath immediatly freezes cause the insulation is now gone, and the tires just spin, you can't find your chains, the water continues to run off the hills from the rain you got earlier and continues to wash and dilute the salt you put down so the water continues to freeze so you put more salt down and run out, then to really pizz you off, It's 2 oclock in the morning and not a coffee to be found anywere!!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2004
  6. THEYARDSTOP

THEYARDSTOP Junior Member

lqmustang,

Reading your post ,, just made me laugh :D I'm from canton also, and I'm in just about the same situation you are with plowing this year.. that first couple of inches was fun :bluebounc until that wet stuff came down..
    what a mess that was.!!!!

Good luck !
    Mark

7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

We got that same snow-then-rain-downpour crap.... started with that right after I got on the tractor to salt (no cab) so I got soaked and everything was so heavy that I didn't dare take the time to go home and get changed so I spent the next 10 hours in the truck sopping wet with all my windows fogged up.... :rolleyes: NOT a pleasant storm.

Then naturally it all froze. Everything that wasn't plowed (not mine, I did all of mine) is a disaster area, everything else is a skating rink.

8. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Now that its all over the freez will help me to keep the gravel in the drives. I always like the first freeze of the winter...Rob

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I can really feel for the guys doing sidewalks in that rain / snow. Riding a converted lawn machine plowing the sidewalks. No heat, No shelter, cold as hell and raining!