1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts About Wet Snow and Plowing it

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by QKSnowRemoval, Dec 12, 2009.

1. QKSnowRemoval

QKSnowRemoval Senior Member

This is my first year at plowing and i had one hell of a way to start out with plowing 8 to 10 inches of wet snow. Is there a special way in plowing it? Cuz correct meif im wrong but it seems to be alot harder on your truck and equipment and harder to move around. So i have come to the conclusion that wet snow just blow to plow. Could you guys help me out and give me some advice and thoughts thankx.
  2. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

Pretty much IMO just plow it- get it over with
    Also When plowing wet snow try not to push straight so much
    we windrow in wet snow (as much as possible)! and......
    DONT LET IT FREEZE unless u like salting!
    If you let it sit for a day your screwed!
  3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ya you plow it at 4" and dont wait for 10"
  4. DHDB

DHDB Member

For any snow but especially wet snow, always plan ahead for the next storm. Dont push to the end of a run and stop. If you do, you will leave a big frozen mound of snow in the shape of your moldboard. Guess what happens next storm? Your frozen plow shaped popsicle is waiting at the end of your push, so you have no where to push snow. If it's a parking lot, the lot will just get smaller and smaller and smaller.... Always plan ahead for the next storm.
  5. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

Ditto what plowmeister says. imo less wear and tear on truck. Profit margin down but your not pushing the truck or stressing yourself

I second the plow meister, and dhdb posts.
  7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

take smaller bites,
    don't stop mid push,
    push your piles far enough back that when the next snow comes, your ice piles are not in your way.

just be glad its not ice or slush......
  8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Even seasoned pro's have a hard time with those storms. You just have to take it the shortest distance possible and don't freak out! Sometimes you just gotta plod along and take it little by little.
  9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

smaller bites is the way to go.
  10. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I just had 8 to 10 inches of wet snow the other day and it was not fun. I tried plowing it straight into a grassy area and that got the snow off the parking lot and left a lot of room for the next storm.
    Then I tried windrowing it, and of course that doesn't get it off the parking lot, it just makes bigger and bigger windrows. Luckily I had a payloader because the snow got so heavy and had to scoop it all up and carry it away to the place where I pushed the snow in the first time. Of course, if I had a V plow, etc. I would have been a lot better.
  11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Take small bites and push it far as it can go,once it freezes it there for the season. Just what out for the next time you plow. If you had any run off from the pile and it froze you'll love the slide in!
  12. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Once you start finish it never stop and go back to it later because you will not be able to move it till it warms up.
  13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Get quite a bit of snow here on the Maine Coast.

Here are some things I do in my parking lots.
    I actually windrow less with the wet stuff. I usually put the plow in scoop, and just start pushing. To the sides, the ends, wherever. I don't try to be neat and tidy. I usually keep the blade up just a tick also. Saves some wear on the cutting edge, and keeps more weight on the front tires. The extra weight gives you more traction if you are in 4wd, and better steering. Then I go back and cleanup, windrowing to the side.

If you are plowing a spot where you have to windrow, keep the blade up a bit. Once again more traction and better control. Then drop the blade and scrape/clean it up.

As far as letting wet snow sit, I have done it several times. I plow three schoolyards, so if we get a Friday night storm, I don't have to hurry. I keep the buildings accessible, but I just let the snow sit there in the major parking areas. The water will drain out. Then I go in on Sunday afternoon after church and plow it up. Great plowing. Of course you have to use some discretion. If temps are really dropping after the storm, might not want to wait.
  14. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Plow with a wet snow....don't let it build up.
  15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Whoops, meant to say we get quite a bit of WET snow here....
    I know that many of you get much more snow than we do:eek::eek:
  16. TLB

TLB Senior Member

Just like the others have said, don't stop moving & do it before you get too much.

I'd rather move 12" of the powder than 4" of the wet concrete stuff anytime !
  17. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Some bad advice right there.
  18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I have to agree with you on that one. After about the third pass, it's pretty tough to get that mud to move sideways.
  19. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I forgot to mention that I plowed this wet snow in the parking lot 4 times during the storm. I would have really been screwed if I had waited until it stopped snowing.
  20. QKSnowRemoval

QKSnowRemoval Senior Member

wow, thankx for the info guys, alot of good reply's in this thread.