1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts about SIMA?

Discussion in 'Snow & Ice Management Association - SIMA' started by redman6565, Nov 9, 2008.

1. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

I was thining about joining but before i did i wanted to hear from you guys what your thoughts are about SIMA...benefits and negatives...

2. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

i just joined this summer, and have learned a lot of things in the few months that i have belonged... a lot of insight and contracts are available to you, gives you an idea how to estimate time on lots/walks, and they hook you up with a mentor to bounce questions off and to talk to.. also a lot of good deals on training videos and seminars... its definately worth it, you also get some kick a** stickers :D

3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

This thread seems shorter then it was last night...

4. redman6565

we must be getting edited...uh oh...haha

5. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

No more can of worms... I love this time of year... I get addicted to the site and piss of the wife!

I was wondering the same thing... I have one truck and I just don't know if it would be worth it...?

6. redman6565

well i was looking for something i could market to my customers, specially my big ones, like Wal Mart and Lowe's.

7. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Until the Walmarts Lowes and other "big" accounts know what SIMA is maybe you could just show them those "kick azz stickers" you got for $200

8. SIMASTAFF

SIMASTAFF Sponsor
    from Midwest

Redman,
    This is Brian with SIMA, hope all is well...SIMA has a lot of resources, including template contracts, sweet stickers, mentoring etc. The training that we provide throughout the year in webinars, regional training, and the snow and ice symposium, however, can have a substantial impact on how you approach snow and ice.

If you have any specific questions feel free to contact me...I will say that SIMA membership is like anything else, you have to put a little effort in...especially right now, when there seems to be a big influx of new entries into the landscaping and snow work from other industries, anything that can differentiate your company and show that you are a professional can only help. thanks!

Brian Birch
    Brian@sima.org

9. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

We were members but I think the money that we spent each year it wasn't worth it. Would of liked to see a bigger bang for my buck.

Sorry I'm Dutch. LOL

10. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I became a member last year, what I learned so far and implemented in my business, is worth many years of memberships. :drinkup:

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

In the grand scheme of things the membership cost is next to nothing.

12. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

:nod::nod:
    Likewise here!!!!!!!!!!!I I remember being a member of the professional lawncare association of Ontario. I will only comment on my experience with them is that they catered to the big players in the industry. :

13. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

That really depends Dave. Thats almost like saying "its a write-off".

I personally follow SIMA news and visit their website regularly. If they go in the right direction it will be something that would be beneficial to join. Their recent mention of BOMA is interesting. They also need the CAI to recognize them. We will see what the future brings.
    Its like the BBB, I used to pay yearly...for what. Absolutely did nothing for my business.

I have hired several people thru this site and have also given and received work from here. That makes this site more valuable. Especially because it is free.

14. redman6565

already joined Brian, you're a little late lol, not that that's a bad thing. ya i like what i see so far, i mean the info that is available, the website, the monthly newsletters are all very informative

15. BigJohnsonPlow

BigJohnsonPlow Junior Member

It seems to me that sima doesn't realize who there base core of membership people are. In their survey they put out, the largest percentage of members are NOT the million dollar companies that there primary articles are all about. Look at the people who are on this site and who make up there core. I was going to join but felt like my size of company was not being looked out for. But in all fairness, i didn't join, so maybe I am missing the rest of the picture.

16. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Just curious if anyone knows if SIMA is an accredited organization. If so, what governing board or counsel recognizes them?

17. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

I took advantage of the discounted membership fee a few weeks ago, I think its OK... The magazine that they sent had some good info in it and the downloadable forms and contracts saved me hours of work... I didn't get the sticker though... I believe that they still may have the discount...

18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

OK, I'll bite. What does accreditation mean and do for an organization and what does a governing board or counsel do for them?

We appear to be doing some circular discussing here. :rolleyes:

19. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

First of all, there's nothing for you to "bite" on :rolleyes: Secondly, being accredited means that other professionals recognize you as having value to a particular industry or profession.

Would you give to a charity like the United Way/Red Cross/Salvation Army if it wasn't an accredited organization?

Would you attend a college that wasn't accredited?

Think about all of the doctors, lawyers and teachers who belong to all sorts of different organizations...do you think they'd join if the group was nothing more than the self-proclaimed authority in the industry (with cool stickers)?

Of course not, Mark. I'm pretty sure you can see my point.

20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks Roy, I honestly didn't know or realize that these organizations could be accredited, but it makes perfect sense.

Guess we'll just have to wait for the answer.