1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts? 2 door Tahoe or Wrangler for driveway rig?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by JFon101231, Jun 30, 2014.

1. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Not really new to the industry per se as I've been plowing for about 4 years, but I'm looking to add another plow vehicle that will just do driveways, as my current truck is just too big for some of what we have around here (a lot of tight L driveways). This new vehicle would be the primary plow truck, and in another year I'm going to replace my truck with something a little newer and that will be more for family duty and backup for equipment failure and/or heavy storms. Looking for opinions, mostly on the two below:

94-97 Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon 2 door
    Jeep Wrangler

Would hope to find something without a plow so hopefully less rust etc. Would probably stay with Fisher and do one of their 7-7.5' plows. Maybe do a Daniels backblade but probably just put on a backdrag edge.

What do you guys suggest and why? :nod:

2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

2 door Tahoe will hold a 7'6'' HD Fisher. I run one on a 4 door and the 4 door has a lighter front end and smaller torsion bars. Plus on a 2 door, 3/4 ton truck bars will swap right in. A Wrangler isn't as heavy duty and can't take as large of a plow but it is smaller.

3. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I certainly agree with the last sentence. You want "smaller" for driveways. Get the Wrangler

4. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Depends on the area. If the driveways are really small, get a Wrangler. If the driveways are generally longer or more open, get the Tahoe.

5. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Agreed !!!

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Just call a 2 door Tahoe what it is....a Blazer/Jimmy!

7. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Leaning towards the Wrangler, which it seems most are here too. Probably will have to put a post in the Jeep section to see if there are years to look for, things to avoid (other than obvious rot), etc. Is the 2.5L 4 cylinder a slug and should be avoided? It seems those are a bit cheaper, and I don't plan on wheeling or throwing 35's on it in case that matters. Seems like the vast majority are manual trans too, which would be a first in a while for me when it comes to plowing. Seems like I can find something with 120-150k miles for around $4-$6k which is in the ballpark of what I'd want to spend.

For a plow, a part of me is toying with straying from the 'yellow brand' and trying a Boss 7' Sport Duty poly, but we'll see... Will probably end up with whatever I can find for a reasonable price.

If anyone else has thoughts, feel free to chime in.

8. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Watched a guy struggle with a boss light duty doing a donut shop last year.It was on a wrangler. The thing was tripped more than it was plowing. He finally gave up and left. Felt bad for the guy, looked foolish . Not sure if it was set up wrong or what. It was about two or three inches of wet snow,

9. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Had a 6cyl auto with western 6.6 it was stock and it was great only problem I had was 60 driveways in 2 miles had to put a bugger alt and a gel battery

10. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

I ran a 99 4 door Tahoe this year with a 7"6" boss did awesome and tahoes turn on a dime. Shoot I did drives and big lots and made great money but this summer the trans went out. But the truck has 280,000 miles

11. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Jeep. All day long. After watching Mike "Road2Damascus" work with his properly set up (the key to any equation) I can say I've never seen a better driveway rig.

12. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Never used a Jeep, but the 2-door Tahoe had amazing power and weight for pushing heavy snow, while having great turning ability like a Jeep would. I made no modifications to mine & had the 7.5 Fisher HD that came from another pickup. I like the versatility of having the same plows, which may or may not happen for you with a Jeep

13. doomxz670

doomxz670 Junior Member
    from 45459

I have owned about 10 jeeps in 2 years but never plowed with one, the 4cyl motors normal only seem to last to 115-140k miles the 6cyl will almost run forever. I have plowed with a 2door tahoe and it does do very well in tight areas although the jeep is smaller it won't have the weight to push as much and most jeeps are manuals not automatic. Also with a jeep you'll want a hard top not soft top FYI.

14. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Thanks all. Gonna keep my eyes out for a decent Jeep with the V6 and yes a hardtop (or factor in the cost of one if it doesn't have it). Only thing I'm on the fence with now is whether I put on a backblade like a Daniels etc. or just add a backdrag edge to keep off some length. I'm worried the lighter front blade won't backdrag well enough without one or the other. I may end up running for a few storms then decide but we'll see.

15. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I had the western back edge on the front plow not much help
    If you have a lot of back dragging think about a back blade like the Daniels