1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thought on cleaning conveyor chain

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by fhafer, Feb 23, 2016.

1. fhafer

fhafer Member

I want to clean and preserve the conveyor chain for my sander/salter. It's a small eight foot Hi-Way, so the chain is not very large. I'm thinking about buying an electric cement mixer from Harbor Freight for around $140.00, throwing the chain in it along with some sand and letting it spin for a few hours...then soaking the chain in an oil/diesel mix until the fall when I reinstall it.

I can use the cement mixer during the summer with walnut shells & corn cob to bulk tumble reloading brass.

Any thoughts?

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Power wash it and spray it with oil. No need to get crazy

3. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Um,,,,no to the cement mixer idea!Thats just crazy talk! Like mentioned,clean it and coat with diesel or similar product.

4. fhafer

fhafer Member

Thanks for the feedback.

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We're still on our original chain from 2006 on our Downeaster. I just wash it off occasionally while running the conveyor and apply Fluid Film and we haven't had an issue other than taking a couple links out this season.

6. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Leave in on the v box and LIBERALLY apply Fluid Film. Run it. Adjust it. Re-apply if necessary. Good to go.

Bulk tumbling brass...............sweet.

7. Casper1

Casper1 Member

Wet stainless pin tumbling is were it's at. I have a universal de-capper so even the primer pockets get clean. Add a little Dawn, some Lemishine and brass is as clean as a whistle.

8. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Used motor oil is free and works just fine!

9. RWS81

RWS81 Junior Member

I use Bar and Chain oil

10. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

I just pressure was mine and liberally apply bar and chain oil.

11. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

power wash as others have said and fluid film no problems

12. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Cement mixer? LOL

Power wash, apply Saltaway, then bar and chain oil