1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thought had the big dawg

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 30milepace, Dec 6, 2007.

1. 30milepace

30milepace Junior Member
    from Chicago

As it turns out my 2500HD Chevy crew cab can only use a 7'6" meduim duty plow. The engine eats up the frt. gvwr. Is there a fix or am I stuck with my little puppy plow.:help:
  2. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Have you tried putting any ballast on your truck? I mean like sand bags or salt or anything?
  3. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

is it a d-max?
  4. 30milepace

30milepace Junior Member
    from Chicago

Yes it is a dura-max
  5. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

put what you want on and add timbrens, and ballast
  6. 30milepace

30milepace Junior Member
    from Chicago

The problem is the wieght of the plow voids any warrenties.If I had a gas engine i could put a 8.5 pro. When I bought the truck I never thought that I could only use a homeowner model plow.
  7. tinymitymo

tinymitymo Member

I think I will buy a 40+ thousand dollar truck to plow with.....

But.... I won't need to check the specs or anything to see if it will do what I want it too....:D
  8. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Yup, I ran into the same problem when I wanted to special order the 8.1 in it. too much weight. So I settled for the 6.0
  9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I am surprised how often that happens. at least once a week the same posting shows up.
  10. big acres

big acres Senior Member

You'll be fine...

Like others have said ...add ballast.

Crank up the torsion bars. We run 14 chevys and every fall when we hang the plows, we crank up the torsion bars. You'll see the front end raise and it'll accomodate the weight of the plow better. Springtime they com back down.

PS -Our 2500 duramax runs with a 9.5 just fine.
  11. Zippy

Zippy Junior Member

Our local town crew runs a 9' Fisher on a 2500HD DMAX. No problems with it.

12. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

hmmmm.... I see. I've heard that homeowner-duty plows are something to stay away from. I would do everything I could to stay away from one. You should write to the company. But anyway, would your truck still be under warranty if you had a gas engine, and put a 8.5 plow on it? Plows are hard on trucks, so I'd be suprised if it was covered under warranty. What I mean is that chances are, if you'd bust something plowing, it probably wouldn't be covered under warranty. They'd claim it to be "abnormal use" of the truck. Let us all know what you decide to do. If it was me, I'd say bull, and ask for my money back. Good luck.
  13. shaltac

shaltac Junior Member

Shhhh don't tell my 06 DMax about this. Of course I have a reg cab LS1 version so I'm a couple of hundred pounds lighter. Timbrens, E rated tires up front pumped up to 55+psi, and cranked bars... put 800lb of ballast in the back... and stick with one of the lighter 8' plows (don't go adding wings - etc.) The other option is to take it to a weigh station and get your axle weights stock, and see where you actually are / vs the rated GVW and GAW of the truck... Can be surprising as to what the truck actually weighs / vs what it's rated for. If you stay within the gross manufacturer ratings you should be just fine.
  14. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I've got 2 06 Duramax's
    one is a regular cab
    one is a crew cab longbed

The regular cab weighs almost 1000lbs less than the CC
    There's a reason they don't let you put plows on the CC's.
  15. shaltac

shaltac Junior Member

1000lb actual weight or factory claimed? I've weighed cars for drag racing and have seen weights way above and way below what the factory claimed. Only one way to know for sure.

According to the Chevrolet spec site - the crew is only 400lb more for an 08.

Not that I would choose a loaded crew cab for plowing comercially mind you. Just trying to encourage the guy to get some real numbers and see what will fly.
  16. MJLsLawnCareNmo

MJLsLawnCareNmo Senior Member

My question for you guys putting the plows you want on your trucks, how do you find out which mount to buy for your truck? If you have a truck that doesn't qualify for putting a plow on or the plow you want you need to know which parts to buy but all the plow sites simply say "No plows recomended" and that's it.
  17. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Your crew cab uses the same mount as a regular cab Dmax of that year.
  18. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

it really is kinda funny how often this question does come up. i think we should have a whole new heading to start threads under. the 2500hd crew cab diesel section. funny part is that section would probally be packed.
    bottom line some people are gonna try and scare you away from putting a plow on saying you overloaded it and what not. the bottom line is that there are tons of us who have done it with out problems. i myself have an 8'2 boss v blade with wings. i have my torsion bars cranked up 5 turns and i also have a aux fuel tank in my bed that i use for weight. sand bags will work just as well.

and out of all of the tons of people who have done this with out any problems you may here one or two storys of what bad things happened to there truck. and the fact is that the same things probally would have happened to them in any other truck cause they were plowing like morons at 45mph and seeing how tall they could stack the pile so they kept ramming the piles at 45mph.:dizzy:

gonna break something on any truck if you don't know what your doing, crew cab or standard cab.

go out by the plow you want, take your time learn what to do and go and make a bunch of money with the truck. god knows cost a ***** load of money to buy it.
  19. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

I'm not sure about other brands, but i know the fisher 7.5 ld uses the same mounts as the 7.5 rd (homesteader is another story), meaning the dealer won't know which plow you have on the truck. Just a little food for thought
  20. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

same with a boss. a 9' 2 or a 7' 6 same mount