1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Those with a skid - pusher or snow bucket??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jvm81, Jan 18, 2007.

1. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Looking at upgrading this spring / summer for a new skid. Local - bobcat, new holland, john deere. All three that I visited with all say don't get a pusher cuz you can't pile. Go with the 80 - 100 inch snow buckets. Right now I just use our skid with a regular bucket on it - works but I need to upgrade so not much expereince with the pusher / snow bucket.

2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i have a pusher, plows and buckets. you can't really move much snow with a skid loader bucket. personaly i would reccomend a plow (9 or 10 foot). we run two skid loaders with plows on our bigger 5-10 acre lots. we can clear these 2 times faster than our 4 pickups put together.

3. salopez

salopez Senior Member

you can stack with a box...just like you can with the plow on your truck.

once you have a pile you simpley rais the box slowly and tip it back up on to the pile....done.

4. elmo1537

elmo1537 Senior Member

snow box

it is like running a plow with wings you can move twice the amount of snow with it that you can with a straight blade

5. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

Ever hit a man hole with a bucket while plowing?....you won't forget it. Not so with a pusher, especially if it has a rubber edge. Plus the shoes will go right over a curb when you get to one, not stop dead because you hit it.
    Let's see... 8'-10' wide, 3' tall and 3' deep vs. 100" bucket. Close but just not quite the same. You have to push, lift, carry, dump. With a pusher, you just push and stack. Sure you can lift the snow with a bucket, but you can only dump / stack so high.

Not to say that buckets aren't needed as they do have benefits, but for me a pusher is just more productive.

Also, the dealers may be recommending buckets because the don't sell pushers. Just a thought. :)

6. jason t.

jason t. Member

I have a pusher and a bucket, I use both. The pusher is way more effective plowing the actual lot, you are looking at 3-5 8 1/2 v blades full of snow each pass. You can stack higher with a pusher than with a truck, it works very well in fact, it's all the operater in the machine. And yes hitting a crack or manhole with a bucket hurts like h**l! You won't ever forget the feeling of the saft bar hitting your rib cage.

If you could only have one, go with the pusher, with a trip edge if possible. You won't be unhappy.

7. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Only the push bar?
    i still have a baseball sized green and yellow bruise right in my gut where I hit a manhole with my bucket on the tractor
    and slammed dead into the spinner on the steering wheel.
    Hurts like hell.:cry:

A plow for the tractor is next on the list.

8. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

8' protech will be your best friend.

9. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

don't listen...... plows all the way. trust me i have all three. get two skid loaders with plows and you'll understand. trust me.

10. elmo1537

elmo1537 Senior Member

you only need to get one skid steer with a snow box instead of two with the plows.

11. drmiller100

drmiller100 Senior Member
    from idaho

8.5 foot bucket. get the nice metal edge of the bucket,get the snow carrying capacity of the box, you can pick up 3 yards of snow and stack it 10 feet high straight vertical.

12. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

So you guys like the plows, but yet advise on the bucket but advacate the pusher with trip edges??!!

I am running 4 3/4 trucks with plows, 2 utitlity tractors with front mount blowers (residential) and 1 skid. I need that skid to be more productive. I don't want to buy another plow for my truck.

Suggestions are always welcomed!

13. slade

slade Senior Member

I had a plow for my bobcat but it was not very productive, so I converted it into to a pusher. The pusher is much more productive then the plow was. However a friend of mine uses a plow for his bobcat and he likes it. His a two speed though and that helps a lot I'm sure.

14. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

It depends what you are using it for. If your doing a wide open lot use a pusher, if your doing townhomes your small lot use a bucket.:salute:

15. SLLNorth

SLLNorth Member

We run8.5ft. plows on three of our skids with snow buckets on site. Epic are you running a skid this season?

16. GrandScapes

GrandScapes Senior Member

We have 2 skids with 10 ft pushboxes and they seem to work good. They are very easy to work with...No where near as fast as a loader for ground speed obviously but we like em!!!

17. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

WOW thats a big push box for a skid. What size machines are they?