1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Those V plows on 1/2's and risk management

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Skookum, Nov 2, 2000.

1. Skookum

Skookum Member

DIGGERMAN, LAZER, and others,

I am sorry that I seemed to have gotten this whole thing going about the big v's on the 1/2's. I in no way was trying to say anyone was an idiot or such. My very first comment was just a poke. If you have been running them and wish to do so, that is your right at your business. I totaly understand your points and issues. If you say the truck works with that setup for you then I believe you!

We all have worked with what we have, what is available, or what we can afford. Lazer also pointed out that by pushing the envelope is why we have such products available in this industry today. I agree, I have even seen guys that could set their stuff setup or build it better than any manufacturer. Although, I have also seen stuff that is a little scary, even some maufactured stuff.

BUT, risk management is a must anymore. Diggerman commented such that he was not going to buy a bigger expensive truck to use a plow just because some manufacturer wants to COVER HIS BUTT, instead Diggerman is going to watch his overhead. I understand this completely! I understand the comment because there is always a minimum just as a maximum when things are designed by the manufacturer which can be pushed alittle bit more. But, risk management makes the manufacturer set those limits to cover his butt so he cannot be held liable.

I have made one trip from the pit hauling 5 tons of sand instead of going back for my legal limit of 2.5, I have mowed with deflectors up, used equipment for things it was not intended for, made my own snowplow mounts, etc... It is just, in a more sue happy world that we live in, we have to think about all those things more than before. When something bad happens like in an accident, there are people, mainly lawyers, that will look for anything at all to use against you.

There is no total protection from liability issues. After an accident, if someone wishes to dig deep enough they will find someway to drag you into court to get an extra buck. The reason this might all sound just too far fetched, is maybe because it has not happened to you in a serious enough way. I hope that it never ever does. But, you have to think about things like: What would you do if your wife and two babies were killed when their SUV flipped over? What would you do when you found out that the steering box manufaturer limited the use to 4,000 lb vehicles and the SUV weighed 4,200 lbs. You would not say "Well the manufacturer was just watching his overhead" You'd find a lawyer and you'd say "Sue for everthing they've got"! It works with snowplows as well.

I am not trying to jam this all down your throats. Just making the comments for anyone that might have never thought this way from this angle. Liability and Risk Management are issues that are just going to get bigger not smaller and the sooner you include them into your business the easier it will be with less effort.

:)I wish you guys all a good winter full of income and safety :)

2. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

Your greatest liability in the snow business comes from not having your work performed as agreed.

3. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

i have read all of the posts from the closed thread
    and have to say that everyone brings up some interesting
    points. SAFETY is the key here, if you operate your equipment responsibly all of the time.
    manufactures build in the idiot factor with their equipment, i am quite shur that their are NO idiots here.
    keep up the great debates and remember we all have a common goal in mind.
    PUSHING SNOW!!
    dan

4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

A gentleman in the lawn care forum ran a post how his employee lost a finger and now he's twisting in the wind and the bottom line was he cut corners to save money and worked with what he could afford not necessarily what was correct.

Some posters at Lawnsite brag about six and seven digit incomes and then go on and tout the use of obviously substandard machinery because they apparently cant afford the right equipment for the job.

You can pay now, or pay much more later.

5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

This the reason why, I am trying to keep all my sanding operations on 15,000 GVW and more.

This winter I will send out two guys, in F 350 dump bodies, with 3 yards of sand/salt, and a 9' Diamond Plow. The truck loves it, takes the challenge in stride, not. It doesn't handle as well as as it would with the right weigh, and on snow covered roads, you want the best handeling possible. Now if these guys are out on the road, get in an accident, and kill someone, maybe because they couldn't stop fast enough. You know what they going to say, when the judge asks why the truck is over loaded? Geoff told us to put 3 yards of sand on it.

Yes I push my trucks to the limits, I have towed 12K with an F 250, 351 gas. I am not going to get rid of all my 1 tons because perfromace is reduced with a 9' blade. However I am not going to stick my head in the sand, and say I will never have an accident in a snow storm. To be honest with you the company has never had an accident, and I am expecting one to happen, because the odds are against us. Also the odds of getting in an accident during a snow storm are higher then ever.

Geoff