1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Those shovels with wheels?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by elite1msmith, Dec 30, 2010.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

I dotn know what they are called, I had a guy ask for them.....claims he likes them...I don't know if he likes the concept in theory or if he has actual experience using them...his English is not good and neither is my Spanish

I found them locally...2 wheels, flip it over, had a white poly blade...not sure how wide looked like 3 feet. 70 bucks. Considering I buy 9 dollar home depot specials most of the time because they seem to walk a lot,

I have two lots 1000 linear feet of walk each with 5 foot wide area...they are adjacent to the parking lot and rise 6 inches above it in most cases..all my guys do now is shovel into the lot....but in theory if this style shovel would roll the snow to the side and into the lot...the job would be a lot faster

Please chime in

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Lol I was debating whether or not to purchase this or the yo ho. I ended up buying the yo ho because I was told that it (shovel with wheels) wouldn't do good in snow over 6" because it would roll right over the top. But it has 2 wheels and the blade is angled to the left, it's about 5" tall and a little over 3' wide. It flips when you need to go the other direction. The salesman (also the store owner) he told me it works great and loves it and he's had great response from it too. But anyways I bought the yo ho because I have sidewalks less than 3' wide and it would be a pita to use.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  3. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

we have a ton of these sidewalk pushers we love them I probably have 10 of them that go out every storm and maybe 4 that are worn out in the sop for parts. they are kind of expensive for what they are (pretty simple design) but man do they do a great job we have some long wide sidewalks to do and even in 3 inch storms the guys use them anything over that they get out the snow blowers but most of our accounts are zero tolerence so the snow never gets deeper then two inches.

4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

agreed...we have several of them also, and when the that tool matches the task at hand, they rock.

5. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

Can you find out what they are called.. I have a dakota snow blade and love it, but not available anywhere exept mail.
    www.snoblade.net

6. elite1msmith

from chicago

So if I push it straight ahead will it roll the snow off to the side all on it's own? So basically if I'm hinking about this right, all they would have to do is walk down the path? Making an hour job into 10 mins?

7. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

i believe your talking about the snowcaster.

8. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

We have 70 of the Snowcaster's, they are great tool, work well and are durable.

9. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

I have a mixed review. I tried one with the orange blade. It worked great, fast with up to 3". Over that not very efficient but that is expected. The problem was that it broke early on. No parts availability at least for the orange kind. If it was a better quality brand I would buy several more because it was fast for light stuff. But for $75 it broke way too soon and I was not abusing it.

Now I use the big SNOWPLOW blades, much better quality and still wind row well, and I can control how much down pressure by how much I lean on the stick.

my $0.02

10. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

I wonder if these things are patend? I could make these for way cheaper then that I am sure more people would buy them for 50 or 60 instead of 90 plus shipping

11. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

They're only like 75$

12. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Professional techs buy Snap-On over Craftsman for a reason...

:D

13. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

hand tools are made by one manufacture, just different specs...

14. Westhardt Corp.

Yeah..."breakable" and "professional".

:mechanic:

15. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

We usually have 10-15" snowbanks along all the walkways, so if you can't pick up the shovel and toss the snow you're in trouble.

16. elite1msmith

from chicago

Yes fine, but does it really roll the snow towards the angled side, or does it require more effort from the operator?

17. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Watch the videos.

18. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I say what do you have to lose? You have a guy asking for a tool that from my personal experience (pun intended? lol) would astronomically increase his productivity. Even if it breaks after a season it would appear to save you that if not more in man hours.

19. elite1msmith

from chicago

I guess I would only loose the 75 bucks if it's a pos......but I also would rather blow the 75 on stippers if in fact the shovel is junk. Lol

Nice truck btw

20. Westhardt Corp.

People who make excessive stipulations are kind of annoying IMO.

Just sayin...

:D