1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

This Year's Western Discussion

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Sean Adams, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Adams

Sean Adams Member

Dear PlowSite Members,

One of our sponsors, Western Products, has created a discussion for the members of the site. Feel free to participate throughout the next week. The discussion begins at the next post (which will be made by a representative of Western Products) and will end on 11/30.

Last Year's discussion was fantastic and created a wealth of information. Enjoy this year's discussion as well - and be sure to thank Western for taking the time to contribute to the site. Without sponsors like Western we would have a very difficult time keeping this site alive.

2. WesternProducts

WesternProducts Sponsor

Western Forum

Welcome!

Once again, Western Products has opened this forum to discuss any technical issues, as well as answer any product-related questions regarding our snow and ice control equipment.

We encourage any feedback you might have regarding new product requests/ideas and future improvements.

We will strive to answer all threads in a timely manner. We thank you in advance for your participation and look forward to your comments.

3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

OK I have a 3 questions:

1) I have a new 8' pro steel blade plow with the ultra-mount system (which is great). I was wondering if there is a way to secure the blade when it is not on my truck. Where I live and will be storing it I cannot see it, and I just do not trust it.

2) My truck has Daytime Running lamps and when they are on the plow lights are much dimmer than I expected;is this normal?? If so what can I do to make them brighter??

3) I noticed (when I moved it the other day and did my final prep to it) there is some play when the blade is not fully angled right or left, it almost feels like there is air in the lines. The plow is new, and we have not had any snow yet so I have not used it at all. Will this work it way out??

4. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

I also have an 8 foot pro plow with the ultramount. I am about to start my second operating seson with the plow, and it was stored indoors when not in use. My question is should i change the hydaulic fluid before plowing this year, or is it still allright? Thanks a lot.

Kevin

5. intlco

intlco Senior Member

I like your v-plow, but would prefer if it came with the option of have the old fisher conventional mount.
    I don't like the ultra mount design. I prefer to leave lights and pump on the truck just like we do on big county trucks.

Also I would recommend that you introduce some new brighter snow plow lights, something like the new BOSS lights.

6. WesternProducts

WesternProducts Sponsor

Response to Frozen001

First, thanks to all that post as well as your Western support. Second, to answer your questions:

1) Unfortunately, we currently do not offer a lock (or equivalent) for our UltraMount snowplows. We have and continue to look into possible ways for you to secure your blade when off the truck. In the meantime, I would suggest drilling a hole in the stand hook assembly, and lock it with a standard hitch pin lock. This would do the trick.

2) Although you did not specify, I am assuming that have the Isolation Module electrical system. And if in fact this is the case, then yes...it is normal that when your daytimes are on, your plow lights could be operating at a lower intensity. This is a common with the Isolation Module electrical system. However, if you switch from your daytime lights to normal vehicle headlight operation, you will regain full intensity on your plow lights.

3) Regarding possibly having air in your lines for your new plow, I suggest the following: Find a downward sloping surface (driveway, loading dock, etc.), and parking your truck down the slope, drop the blade, and angle the plow left to right to left, etc. while the blade is on the ground. This will work the air out of the lines. I also suggest that while you are angling your blade, pause 15 seconds at each angle. This will also help.

7. WesternProducts

WesternProducts Sponsor

Annual Snowplow Maintenance

Kevin (aka PlowKid150),

Despite the fact that you were able to store the plow indoors during the "off-season," we still recommend changing the fluid every year. This helps remove any impurities that may have "crept into" the unit last season.

8. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

WesternProducts

Thanks for the responses. I have some ideas that I am going to explore on securing the plow. If I come up with at good idea I would like to share it with your company.

Thanks again!!

9. WesternProducts

WesternProducts Sponsor

Response to intlco

intlco,

In response to your first comment, certain states require (by law) that the hydraulic unit, etc. be taken off the front of the truck when the plow is not attached. This, along for aesthetic purposes, was the basis for designing a mount system that when the plow is detached, the hydraulic unit, headlight gear, etc. is also detached from the truck.

Regarding a brighter plow light system, we are aware of a deficiency with the current light system, and have been working toward improving it.

Thank you for the post.

10. salopez

salopez Senior Member

will the replacement light be a low cost retro fit or be an all new system? just wondering as i have just purchased my new western plow.

11. salopez

salopez Senior Member

two more notes

Do you there that Western will come out with a powered wing plow to combat the Blizzards? As well is there any kind of off season brush guard in the makes like the Fisher and Meyer units.?
    thank you for your time.

12. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I have another question:

Do you have a pin-out diagram of the wiring harness that goes from the truck to the plow??? I am just thinking ahead if I ever have problems it might help be diagnose what is wrong with my plow.

p.s. I have the isolation module if that matters.

13. btrussell

btrussell Member

I've asked this question before in a different forum but here it goes. Can I order hydraulic fluid from the western factory or do I have to get it from the dealer? And if I were to order hydraulic fluid that is not made by western but says it can be used on western plows such as the high performance fluid, is there a big difference in price?
    Thanks for your input
    Brian

14. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

Bad Paint!

I just bought my Western plow last year and the paint is already starting to bubble up in spots is that just one of Westerns poor qualities or did my plow not get primed before paint or what. Just curious I figured it wouldnt start rusting for at least 3 or 4 seasons.

15. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

WesternProducts -

Is the Fisher curb shoe kit for the X-Blade compatible with any Western applications? If not, any plans in the future for Western to produce something similar?

Thanks,
    Rick

16. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Same with me. I bought a brand new western ultra mount for my chevy 3500 dump truck. The paint is already starting to chip off.

17. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Also, does western just use steel bolts as a standard bolt. I reccomend you guys start using stainless steel or galenized bolts. The cancer start here. Im just wondering Because my new plow is already starting to rust in those spots. Is that normal?

18. WesternProducts

WesternProducts Sponsor

To Salopez

Salopez,

In response to your first question, as for the improvements we are working toward on our lights, we are exploring various methods for improvement. I wish I could get into some of the details regarding the style of them, output, etc., but unfortunately I cannot.

Regarding hydraulic-powered wings, we currently do not have any plans to manufacture a blade with this feature. However, we have recently introduced blade wings for our PRO PLUS® line of snowplows. No installation or drilling is required. There is a single pin that attaches to the back of the blade. They weigh 45 lbs. each, and add 6" to each side of the blade. The concept of hydraulic-driven wings offers its advantages; however, the advantage of these wings is that they are simple. There is no complex hydraulic system required to operate the wings. In addition, the wings can easily be detached from the blade when not in use, reducing the weight on the front of the vehicle.

And finally, regarding a brush guard, we currently do not have anything planned at this time to make one available.

Regards -

19. WesternProducts

WesternProducts Sponsor

To RAM ON97 & Ultimate Plow - Paint Issues

To "RAM ON97" & "Ultimate Plow" --

I am sorry to hear about the coat issues you appear to be experiencing already. To improve on some of the shortcomings of the old powder coat system, Western invested in an advanced powder coating system, which includes:

1) a pre-treatment shot blaster,
    2) an automated multi-stage pre-wash, and
    3) an automated, climate controlled powder booth.

Unfortunatley, what I have just written regarding the new system we now have in place does not solve your potential problem, but at the very least know that we have made the necessary steps to improve upon our system, which we believe provides industry-best protection against wear and rust.

20. WesternProducts

WesternProducts Sponsor

To ZamboniHDB

Rick (aka "ZamboniHDB") --

The curb shoe kit for the X-blade that you are referring to is not compatible with any Western snowplow applications. The concept is something we have been looking at, however, have no plans in the immediate future to release something equivalent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.