1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

This Year's Fisher Discussion

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Sean Adams, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Adams

Sean Adams Member

Dear PlowSite Members,

One of our sponsors, Fisher Engineering, has created a discussion for the members of the site. Feel free to participate throughout the next week. The discussion begins at the next post (which will be made by a representative of Fisher) and will end on 11/30.

Last Year's discussion was fantastic and created a wealth of information. Enjoy this year's discussion as well - and be sure to thank Fisher for taking the time to contribute to the site. Without sponsors like Fisher we would have a very difficult time keeping this site alive.

2. Gary Dwinal

Gary Dwinal Senior Member

Again this year as last, Fisher Engineering will hold this open forum for 5 business days. We will be closed November 25 - 26 so the forum will run through the 30th. The forum is open to discuss any technical issues as well as product questions regarding snow and ice control equipment. As always we encourage feedback regarding ideas for new products or product improvements. It is our intention to answer all threads daily as they come in and first thing in the morning for threads that come in during off business hours. Thank you in advance for your participation.

Gary Dwinal
    Product Manager
    Fisher Engineering
    207-701-4253

3. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

Question for Fisher- I understand a Stainless steel V plow is in the works, can you give us any more info on this and when it might be released?

4. Gary Dwinal

Hi Lakeeffect,
    Since the introduction of the stainless steel XBLADES we have had a few inquiries about stainless steel V-plows. Can I understand your message to mean that this is a product that you would be interested in should we offer such a plow? At least in part, the reason we participate in this type of forum is to get feedback from snowplow users as to what type of products they would like to see available in the future and I would like to know from you or others on the forum what their thoughts are in this subject. Thank you.

5. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

Yes I would be very interested in a V X Blade. I currently own a 8' X Blade and will never own another powder coated plow. This year I purchased your new curb/wear shoe kit so will see how this improves gouging in gravel. As long as you can keep the price reasonable and the quality on par I could see myself purchasing one.

6. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

is there a wider homesteader in the works by chance?

6'8" just isint wide enough for a dakota/durango I am hoping for a 7'2" or 7'6" homesteader, if you decide to make them mark me down for 5 units

thanks
    Nate~

7. Gary Dwinal

Hi Big Nate,
    The Homesteader series of plows are currently available in two sizes. They are 6'8" and the larger 7'4".

8. intlco

intlco Senior Member

I would be very interested if you were to reintroduce a optional conventional mount for your v-plows.

We purchace blades every year, but we try to only purchase blades that allow us to leave the light bar on the truck. Because it takes up too much room in our shop to put all these uni-mounts.
    Also, I would highly recomend that you improve your dealers in the MT/WY region because there customer service is terrible, and they don't return phone calls because they don't care if they sell your product, and they charge nearly double what the plow cost back east. The same is true for Western Dealers here.
    We've used Fisher Plows for 15 years, but are considering changing this year because of these problems.

9. Gary Dwinal

Hi intlco,
    Thanks for your inquiry. There are lots of reasons, some of which are legal, to get the headgear including the headlights off the truck when the plow is removed. In the state of Massachusetts, for example, a law has recently been passed making it illegal to install a plow on a new truck if the headgear and lifting mechanism does not come off when the plow is removed. For these reasons we only offer our plows with the Minute Mount or now Minute Mount2 mounting system. Pretty much all plow companies offer only this type of mounting system for the same reasons. I am glad to hear our products have treated you so well of the years. I hope this issue does not make you decide to switch to another brand that may or may not meet your snowplowing demands.

I will pass the dealer issues you made mention of, to our Regional Sales Manager that calls on our dealers in that area. Thanks again.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2004
  10. intlco

intlco Senior Member

Hello Gary,
    Thank you for your quick reply. It is sad to hear that some states have made laws against conventional mounts.
    I do know that I spoke with the Everest Co in Canada and they have now re-produced a conventional mount like your old one for the F550's and their product is very good too. But our company has all Chevy's so it don't fit.

I know that their is no laws in MT or WY regulating what you put on your truck. Most of these ranch trucks have Custom Grill Guard Bumpers that are much stronger than a plow because we have a big issues with antelopes and cattle on the hwy.

It is not convenient to take off all plow equipment including mounting brackets so you can put on a Grill Guard for protection. So alot of guys out here are getting stuck leaving the blade on all winter.

Maybe it would be a good idea to design a HD Grill Guard like Ranch Hand makes that will fit into the plow mount on the truck. Then we would have protection from animals when the plow is not on.
    or,
    perhaps you could consider offering the old conventional mount in this region only as a special order item. I know that it would be popular here, because even the city and county don't take the equipment off their 1 ton pickups. They just keep recycling the old mounts and welding them so the fit the new trucks.
    I myself and several other guys here are also doing the same thing.

11. Gary Dwinal

Hi intlco,
    I guess I envy you folks for having such an abundance of wildlife out there in your beautiful state, that you have to protect your vehicles from damage caused by road incursions. As of a few months ago we now offer a grill guard called the Fisher ProTube which bolts directly to any truck with Fisher Minute Mount or Minute Mount2 plow attachments. It takes less than ten minutes to install and there is no drilling. There are two versions available with one constructed from carbon steel with black powder coat finish and the other constructed of electro-polished 304 grade stainless steel having a chrome like finish. For the most part the ProTube is for cosmetics and I doubt would provide much protection against a collision with an antelope or cattle though.

Thanks,
    Gary Dwinal

Last edited: Nov 22, 2004
  12. familylawn

familylawn Junior Member

question a bout the electro lift

I just purchased a truck with a 7' 6" blade it have the old mounted joist stick type controls. Is their a touch pad or a wireless the is compatable with that type of unit. If their is were would I be able to purchase that product. Thanks Family Lawn Care Services

13. BillNero

BillNero Member

Poly Spreaders

Hi Gary,

I'm curious if Fisher has any plans to make a poly V Box spreader in the future.

Bill Nero
    Central Parts Warehouse

14. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

I do have a couple more questions/ comment Gary. Is Fisher looking at improving their lighting system? Also Are any different or improved hitching systems being developed? Although the MM2 is improved over the MM1, I believe there are better systems out on the market now. I don't want Fisher to fall behind the competition as I have been a Fisher customer for over 20 years and still believe they are the best plows on the market. My ideal setup would be a stainless V with improved lighting, better shoe kit and a improved hitching system. Asking alot, huh.

15. Gary Dwinal

Hi BillNero,
    I guess I will answer your question with more questions. Is that a product that we should be manufacturing? How many would you use in your fleet? Are there other brands of this type of spreader in your area? If we were to manufacture this type of spreader, what type of power or drive would you prefer to have? What capacity should the unit have to fit your needs? You, as a user of this type of equipment, are the best people to answer these types of questions for us because if we ever do decide to manufacture this type spreader we want to make sure we do it right!
    Thanks for your enquiry and I look forward to your answers.

Gary Dwinal

16. Gary Dwinal

Hi Family Lawn,
    If your plow is a Minute Mount style plow with the electric/hydraulic unit mounted on the headgear, you may have one other option. Check the plug in connector on the end of your current cab control. If the connector is a small white plug with six pins, you can purchase our optional hand held control and plug it right in place of your joystick control. If your truck has the old style joystick control that operates with cables, there are no other options unless you wanted to completely upgrade to a new hydraulic system.

Thank You,
    Gary Dwinal

17. Gary Dwinal

Hi Lakeeffect,
    We are always looking at various parts of our plows where we can make improvements and again value feedback. I will assume from your message that you feel our lights are do for improvement and I think that is fair criticism as we have had the same light for many years while the lights have improved dramatically on vehicles over the last several years. Your comment will be taken under advisement. I thank you very much for the kind words about our products and I can assure you we are always working hard to improve our plows and to do whatever it takes to keep customers like you using our products for another 20 years. Look and plan for many new products as well as current product improvements to come to market over the next several years from Fisher Engineering.

Thank You,
    Gary Dwinal

18. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Gary,

I just recently purchased and installed my self a 7.5RD MM2 system. In the last part of the directions, it tells the installer to first fill the pump with fluid, raise and lower the blade then fill it again. The step after this is to adjust the tension on the spring cable, then adjust the lift chain. Well, I followed these steps and because the lift chain was not adjusted first (prior to filling and lifting the blade), I ended up stretching out the spring by literally lifting the entire assembly with just the spring and cable! I now have to order a new one. Is there a way to modify the installation instructions? I originally thought I missed a step but after going back it seems the directions steer the installer the wrong way.

Other than that I think the quality of the product is great. I can't wait to start using it this winter!

Thanks,
    Anthony

19. BillNero

BillNero Member

Poly V Box

Your questions - my answers:

Is that a product that we should be manufacturing? YES - I can't imagine anyone wanting to deal with Gas engines and chain assemblys if they don't have to.

How many would you use in your fleet? As we don't plow snow but do serve the Snow & Ice Control industry, I would have to guess at that answer. Maybe 30% of out total units sold in the first year would be Poly - eventually 80% or more - depending on quality and pricing.

Are there other brands of this type of spreader in your area? There are now two manufactures of poly spreaders.

If we were to manufacture this type of spreader, what type of power or drive would you prefer to have? I love the concept of electric motors with reduction gear boxes for power..

What capacity should the unit have to fit your needs. I would think three sizes could cover the overwhelming majority of applications. 1.5 Cu Yd (6') - 2.0 Cu Yd (8') and 3.3 Cu Yd (10').

20. Chainlink

Chainlink Member
    from Vermont

First off I would like to say wow, actual interaction with cooperate blood. :)

I have a Fisher mm1 with 6' 9" blade, It came with the truck I purchased a couple of years ago and have been really happy with it. It is currently on my 98 toyota tacoma trd v6.

Heres my Question is there any options or plans to make a grill guard to mount to the truck in off season. I have done a few searches to find a product like this and have not found anything. I do think others might like this option. As stout as the mount is I think a heavy duty grill guard or bumper would be nice. I have looked at just putting a different bumper on from the after market, but the plow itself mounts so closely this is not an option.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.