1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

this year compared to years past

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dirtwork, Feb 24, 2005.

1. dirtwork

dirtwork Member
    from ohio

Just wondering how this year is stacking up compared to years past as far as revenue for the rest of you guys. I know i am still a somewhat short compared to lastyear and way short of 2 years ago with snow in Ohio. Hope the trend breaks soon.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

My route keeps expanding every year. But based on calendar year, I'm already 250% of all last year's snow revenue.

3. dirtwork

dirtwork Member
    from ohio

Well here is my problem: I feel i need to expand and do more to make up for less plowable events then years past. I could expand on the salting now but i dont know if i would be able to handle much more in the event of a decent snow. Which leaves me with buying more trucks i may not be able to use in the summer or subcontractors. Would I in turn be liable for the sub if he damaged, say a building? Any suggestions with working with subs

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Even though I lost one small contract (to an employee of the company) I picked up a salting application job on a current contract. I have grossed over 50% more than last year, which was probably 10% better than the year before.

Next year, I will have at least one more truck (possibly two if I have the time to set it up and find drivers) and am hoping to take on another 20 or so contracts.... effectively doubling/nearly tripling my current level. If we get a half-decent winter next year I will hopefully be getting somewhere.

5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I have made much more money so far this winter then all of last. Alot of it came during last months 30" dump where I did many, many driveways in addition to my regular 37 plus once I finished all of those I subbed for a few days cleaning up in tight areas of lots for $70 an hour. 2 storms over a foot and more then a few small ones. 5"-9" expected tonight and maybe another big one monday into tuesday. Iam very happy with this season and think that we have another good month left. Iam glad I decided to buy another brand new plow this year instead of waiting until next year, I don't even miss the $3,500 now.

6. scagster

scagster Member
    from n.ohio

were about 30% over last year but about 25% off of two years ago

7. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I got twice the accounts as last year. But so far only made 1/4 of the money of last year. Due to the lack of snow in maryland. No big blizzard to make a killing on so far this year. :cry:

8. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

We are at 60% of last years revenue. I have more $ per event this year, but all our snow came between Dec 25 and Jan 21. We haven't had anything since then, and this is the first February ever we have not had one single event, sanding or plowing. It sucks but thats the way it goes, nothing we can do about it. At least we are out now doing pruning and spring cleanups :)

9. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

This has been my worst year ever. :( I'm ready for spring to come so I can put this winter to a close and forget about it. :blush2: