1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

This winter sucks!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jim Karns, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Jim Karns

Jim Karns Member

I know upper new england is getting hammered with snow (lucky bastards), but here in western Connecticut.....Well let's just say we can't buy a decent snow storm. Tons of rain (8 inches last month alone) but yet another missed snow season...DAMN :angry:
  2. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I'm done with it! I will send any snow that thinks about dropping here your way. Somehow I think I will still see more snow since it has a whopping 14 degrees outside today.
  3. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

bah here in cenal ma its not too bad we have some snow but its been a ton of rain, if it would drop about 15 deg wed be fine and have us a lot of snow in the past week.
  4. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

If you think what you have sucks, try spending two weeks shoveling 70 roofs. The average roof has three to four foot drifts on it. At least we don't need the ladders anymore. Just walk up the snow bank and then back down onto the roof. It is really depressing shoveling a few feet off of the snow bank next to the building before being able to shovel the roof off.
  5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

depressing isnt the word i would use....:realmad:
  6. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

7. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

we havent had crap.i want a dam 2-4 foot snowstorm to make up for this crappy winter. lol
  8. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I think there are a lot of guys in my area that would be willing to buy your extra salt!
  9. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

It's not over yet....NAO is going negative and there might be enough cold air to support a storm around St Patty's Day.:D:drinkup:
  10. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

All you guys that want snow, all you need to do is follow me around for a week or 2 and you will have had enough.

Made two trips to Iowa a week ago, Yup it snowed!

Just got back from a round to Texas, Dallas/Fort Worth was just starting to get 6-10" when i was just leaving. Had it follow me across and sent it up across Ohio and farther north.

Taking bids on areas that i need to run to to make it snow for you guys, anyone want to start the bidding?
  11. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

you have me confused...we've gotten close to 65 inches here so far
    although not the most we've seen in a winter, i'd say all in all not to shabby

as far as the couple rain storms we've gotten, it rains here every winter
    you guys make it seem like winters over already...its only the begining of march
  12. Jim Karns

Jim Karns Member

I wish we got as much snow as you!
    You folks up in the "hills" have all the luck (and apparently most of the snow)....It amazes me how much different the weather can be with the slightest temp variation. I keep watching all the weather "guessers". They keep talking about "all the snow in Connecticut". The snow they record is measured at Bradley airport. For those of you not from Connecticut (lucky bastards) the airport is located about 10 minutes from Springfield, Mass. I wish they would average the snow fall, rather that use an area that's 10 degrees colder and 30 miles farther north than most of the state. The snow fall totals would be much less. But, that would make sense..... :salute:
  13. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Jim, what makes it worst for you, is when you hear cities south of you are getting more snow than you.
  14. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

We have recieved a lot of rain this winter. Then we get the little 2 inch snows over 4 hours. Maybe 5 plowable events all this season. In past seasons I did that in a week!
  15. Jim Karns

Jim Karns Member

Hell yes, it's annoying that area's south of us are catching more snow.... But wait - IT GET'S WORSE! Now (apparently thanks to some low life fuel speculators) diesel fuel is going through the roof. My best area price is now $4.10 per gallon. :dizzy: When you fix prices at the beginning of the year - you just can't absorbe this much of an increase in fuel cost. Next year - I'm tacking on a fuel surcharges. I guess only the strong will survive. Christ, I can't wait to see what fuel prices will soar to this summer. I'll bet diesel will be $4.65 to $5.00 per gallon - without even breathing hard...LET'S FACE IT FOLKS, THE ECONOMY IS SHOT. On a lighter note - there should be a ton of plow equipment for sale:realmad:
  16. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

I have not dropped the plow in over a month. I would like one lst storm to get some needed cash ready for the landscape to begin. Rain and more rain, over 7 inches in Feb, and more to come this weekend.
  17. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Not again!!! I had to plow last year on St Pattys. It's hard to plow without spilling your :drinkup:
  18. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I bought a new truck trader this week. There are a bunch of trucks for sale right in my price range. I can''t wait to have a truck that has no rust outs and everything works!
  19. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

You would have to get new for that! :dizzy: :jester: Plowing and driving the crappy roads as much as we do is rough on a truck. The tranny pan is rusting through on my Jeep, and I noticed a hole it the floor when I was under it to find the tranny leak. WTF !!!
  20. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

kevin could use another snow storm or 2 kevin needs a new mower.