1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

this winter has gone from bad to worse to?...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by haybaler, Apr 13, 2007.

1. haybaler

haybaler Member

This is the worst winter I've seen for landscapers. we had no snow in dec/jan now where getting snow we can't plow because the ground and unpaved drives are to soft and this is delaying cleanups/ mowing at least 2 weeks. but here's my real question. One of my first (long time) plow customers called and said there was a broken fence and asked if I had insurance. It was was on my drives that my employee did and he didnt' say anything about it and they said you couldn't see the damage until the snow melted(it happened a month ago) so anyway I tell her my insurance has 1000 deductable and she replies: "oh, I'll just buy a new panel" $350 she says it cost. I feel bad, like I should pay for part of it but she seemed fine about it and I'm really low on funds right now. what does everyone think I should do?
  2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I would go over to look at it at the least. $ 350 for a panel? What type of fence is it, that's very steep unless even if it's aluminum. My brother & ex-step father did fencing for years (ex-step father still does). There really isn't much to repairing fences, if your halfway decent with tools you could probably fix it. If she pays you'll more than likely loose her business, you guy damaged it you should make it right.
  3. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I'm never very shy about "counselling" a customer when it comes to right & wrong and what is actually true. However, sometimes with people perception is reality. If she honestly thinks you or your guy did it, then regardless of reality it is true. It sounds like she's very nice, and reasonable too (she asked about insurance, and then said she'd take care of it). I know $350 is a lot of money for any of us, but in my mind it might be a great business investment for you. The public relations benefit alone should pay off for you very quickly. Sometimes if we hold out on principle, we find ourselves at home watching others out there raking in the money that could have been ours! Tough situation. Good luck!

4. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I'd go over & look at it to determine who is actually at fault. You should know if it was possible that your guy did the damage or not.
  5. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

If it was your guys fault maybe you could find a place that could sell you the fence at a cheaper rate, maybe a landscape place. Then you or one of your guys should install it. Money well spent.
  6. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

If you're not lucky, you pay it, and then she'll cancel you anyways. Offer to fix it, but don't accept her buying an expensive panel. It shouldn't cost that much! If she doesn't allow you to fix it, wash your hands of it.
  7. haybaler

haybaler Member

well, I went to look at the fence. Easy fix. she was just tying to get a new fence out of the deal. I didn't even tell her anything just fixed it. a little gorilla glue and a few deck screws. the lower left hand corner where you see the rail sticking out I just cut half of it off and stuck it back in. FYI this view is what her neighbors see her side had no visable damage.

8. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Looks like an easy fix. Did you take pics after repairing it? Not that I doubt you or anything like that, but it is god to have before and after pics of everything you just incase somebody takes you to court.
  9. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

$50 bucks would have bought a whole panel,If she's paying $350 a panel for fence I want to Install it.lol

There is no way she would get anyone to pay her $350 for that weatherd old fence.:rolleyes:
  10. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

I was going to say....

$75 bucks a panel tops up in Salisbury Ma....
    As said above if she is paying $350 then I want to broker her fence work....
  11. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

I got the same crap from one of my customers! True I did snap off 2 fence posts, but they were rotted to crap. I' m thinking he can pay for the posts, I'll install & stain them.
    I think I need an old ratty plow to break on a customers property so I can tell them they broke my plow and I want a new one.:realmad: :dizzy: Good luck with that one!!! LOL
  12. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

O yeah $40 for a 6 x 8 section of picket fence at Home Depot around here.