1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

This Rookie is Tired and Sore!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Birdog, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Birdog

Birdog Junior Member

:sleeping: Can`t believe how my neck and back muscles feel after plowing. Feels like I shoveled instead. A lot of head turning, steering,etc. - well you guys already know. This is my first season plowing and only second time out. This last noreaster was a learning experience!
    Matt

2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I hear you

I fell that way after any heavy storm.

3. JET enterprises

JET enterprises Senior Member

i felt like i couldnt move my left leg after getting out of the truck and had callouses on my right hand just from driving.. man was i beat... i was up from midnight sunday morning till 12 oclock sunday night

4. ksgcapecod

ksgcapecod Member

I hear you guys. My back and legs are fine but the left side of my neck is killing me. Was up from 4:00 a.m. until 12:30 a.m. when my sorry behind climbed into bed.:dizzy:

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What are you guys going to do when you get some real snow.You think 24 hrs is alot? waite till you put in a 90hr day and you'll see the gnomes that live in the snow banks laughing at you.:jester:

6. JET enterprises

JET enterprises Senior Member

hahah i have this gnome sitting in my front yard... well now inside bc of the snow

larry.JPG

7. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

i know how that feels, 35hrs in the truck. lol

i noticed ur location westchester county, new york. i from katonah. small world eh? where abouts do you live in westchester?

8. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

My uncles the mayor of Mount Kisco

9. Switchless

Switchless Member
    from NJ

I hear ya, I'm only on my third season. FWIW, it really helps to relax and not rush so much. I've already found consentrating on being smoother (as with anything) gets the job just as fast and without all the "tension".
    I use a seat cushion (with extra rubber underneath) which raises me way up and forward, so I'm not constantly leaning back in the seat. It also let's me see better without stretching all the time. I have the seat up too so I'm not extending my leg to work the pedals.
    I've also changed my mirrors so I see everything down low, instead of high, for backing up, and adjust them so I can see both sides of the truck without having to turn my head, but just my eyes.
    This stuff may be small, but it sure has help since day one.
    Pete

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

2 Advill is a good way to start.
    But the added pressure of a storm and trying to keep up will always lead to a little muscle pain.

11. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I used to feel like that when I started. We don't get but 4-6 snows 2+" per year, so on a 2-3 day shot it gets me a little sometimes. WHat gets me is my right knee. 2 knee surgeries don't like the knee twisting from brake to gas all night while you are rotating on the heel of your foot. Sometimes I 2 foot it or just make sure my knee is straight and I am moving my whole leg side to side. Now if you want to talk sore, jump in the bobcat for a 24hr shot of looking over your shoulder out the back window and using arms and feet pedals all night. Full body workout. Time for the hot tub after one of those nights. Anymore we just leave the bobcat for loading salt pallets or rotate truck and bobcat operators. Ahhhh, the price we pay physically so we can collect financially!

12. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

Try sitting closer to the wheel, especially if you are useing a mounted joy stick on the lower left of your dash. You are probably streching out to it, that will take your shoulder and neck muscles.
    ymmv.

Roy